Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: boot.img in 3.4 cebit

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611

    boot.img in 3.4 cebit

    I'm trying to edit the English boot.img in my remaster of 3.4 cebit edition. In previous knoppixes, there has alsways been a few files that were just fillers- logo.pnm comes to mind... files that had no purpose and could be removed to allow for other, more important files in boot.img to get larger.

    What I want to do- replace the logo.16 with my own logo.16 and edit the default boot parameters, and edit the help menu and boot message.

    The trouble I'm having- Unless I can remove something in here or get by with a very small logo.16, is that I can't edit these files because they become larger. The boot.img size however is fixed.

    I'll post this boot.img for anyone who thinks they can help out. perhaps the german keyboard map that's in there is not used?

    Other possible solutiopn- switch to isolinux

    My technique is pretty simple-
    mkdir tmp
    mount -o loop boot-en.img tmp
    mv "space-filler" files out of the loop
    edit the files I need to edit
    cp "space-filler" files back in (and they become partial files to compensate for the increased size of the files I edited)
    then unmount the loop

    Other possible solution- switch to isolinux type boot.img

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    55
    You could change the boot.img size perhaps? Try this:

    dd if=/dev/zero of=boot2.img bs=1k count=1600
    mkdosfs boot2.img

    Then just copy everything from boot.img to boot2.img (with cp -dpR * perhaps).
    You should be able to edit the help menu and boot message without changing the filesize too much - just use nano or vi or something to edit the f2 file.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Torino, Italy.
    Posts
    31

    Use Knoppix Customize

    Using Knoppix Customize you can change your logo.16, boot.msg and knopppix lang=de ...

    http://hydra.hq.linuxtag.net/~kester/knoppix-customize/

    Hope it helps, MG

    p.s if you see in look in boot.msg you will see that there are many ****
    at the end of the text.
    If you add a word (like changing knoppix to arkainex) you have to count how many letters is the word arkainex longer than knoppix (2) and delete as many * (2) as the letters that are different.

    re-hope it helps, MG

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Hey that does help! My poroblem is I could edit either boot.msg or syslinux.cfg, but not both. If I can delete some characters, I bet I can do both. And I'll give knoppix-customize a try once I have a new Overclockix 3.4 bootlogo.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    35
    one option is to extract the contents and use Isolinux.
    Other option is to create a 2.88MB disk-image, mount it, install Syslinux 2.09pre11 to it, then add the other files.

    Don't think the syslinux bootloader allows disk resizing using WinImage for example..

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Looks like I was going about it wrong- there seems to be isolinux in addition to the regular boot.img's. Using isolinux works much better.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.8 released at CeBIT
    By probono in forum News
    Replies: 156
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 08:05 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.8 (CeBit) Live CD - Help!
    By Becu in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 04:12 AM
  3. First impressions of Knoppix 3.8 (CeBit Edition)
    By eco2geek in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 03:14 PM
  4. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 01:39 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 12:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$34.94



Genuine Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU5M 10GBASE-CU SFP+ DAC Copper Twinax Cable 5M 16.4ft picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU5M 10GBASE-CU SFP+ DAC Copper Twinax Cable 5M 16.4ft

$10.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99