-
RAM Problem on Compaq Proliant 5000 Server
Hello,
i have Compaq Proliant 5000//2500//1500 Server they all have at least 16MB of Ram on the motherboard up to 32MB
the rest of the RAM is on two RAM Boards up to 4GB (old Kingston EDO Ram..)I tried to boot Knoppix over Floppy
it fails:
Total memory found: 13484kB
then a cp error
starting init process is the last message
the cd works fine on my notebook...
any idea?
with kind regards
marko
-
I just joined the forum to ask a Proliant 5000 question. I think I can get you past the memory problem (if you haven't already found the answer).
Linux will not get the correct memory from the Proliant. So you have to pass the correct memory at boot. On the 2.4.x kernel, it's a little more complicated than just mem=128M (or whatever RAM you have).
Try this: mem=exactmap mem=12M@0 mem=116M@12M
In the line above, the 116M assumes that you have 128M installed (128-12). If you have 256M installed then
Try this: mem=exactmap mem=12M@0 mem=244M@12M
Hopefully, this will get you past the memory problem. Unfortunately, I have run into another problem after that.
-
Memory detection problems
I have a proliant 5000 with 512 RAM.
I tried the solution given but in this case, I got a Kernel Panic -- Unable to find root filesystem ...--
In other cases, I can boot correctly on the SCSI discs, but only 16 M (including the ones reserved for kernel use) are detected.
I am trying to retry this with a 2.6.0-test7 kernel but I dont think it would change anything at all.
Do someone have an idea ?
-
i have a 2500 with 256MB RAM
machine boots using the following append line for my 2.4.18smp and 2.4.22smp kernels.
append=" linux mem=exactmap mem=636K@0 mem=255M@1M"
ref: http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/...g.cgi?id=36940
which eventually indicates that you need to
use dmesg memory ranges to calculate correct numbers (for each system).
cross-fingers
Similar Threads
-
By chouicha in forum Laptops
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-25-2004, 07:50 AM
-
By adkmom in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 11-05-2003, 07:56 PM
-
By mihaval in forum Laptops
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-04-2003, 01:29 PM
-
By nreddy in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-02-2003, 08:02 PM
-
By Coume in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-23-2003, 11:28 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC
$27.99

HPE 10/25G SFP28 2P MCX562A-ACAI OCP3 NIC Network Adapter 2 Port 10GbE 25GbE 25G
$485.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99