Does it say it can't find /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab or does it say that it can't find floppy in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab? You may just be paraphrasing, but you can't just type mount floppy. It will be something more like mount /dev/fd0 /floppy.
I just Installed Knoppix 3.3 to a second HD on my win98 Machine.
Everything went well including the apt-get update.
I downloaded and Install two other programs with no problems. The double Boot works fine and no Log In Problems.
I have a ISDN Connection running a Ascend Router and networking two computers, This was all configured and working great. I have not found any programs that will not run.
I cannot mount the Floppy or the CDrom. If I open a Shell and enter mount floppy, I get an error that the ect/fstab or /ect/mtab cannot be found. The files do not exisist. Has anyone else had this problem or have a solution for it?
Thanks
SkyHawk
Does it say it can't find /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab or does it say that it can't find floppy in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab? You may just be paraphrasing, but you can't just type mount floppy. It will be something more like mount /dev/fd0 /floppy.
This could be a error on my part.
I am entering Literal mount floppy or mount cd
Yes it tells me files not found.
This is my first adventure into linux so i'm winging it on very little knowledge. Thanks for the reply. Maybe you know the correct commands.
Skyhawk
Ok I rebooted in Knoppix and opened a Shell.
At the prompt I entered mount /dev/fd0/floppy
I get the same ERROR:
mount: can't find dev/fd0/floppy in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
My guess is some config file must be missing.
I tried the command in knopix user and in Super User both with the same error.
Thanks for the tip i'll keep on looking if I get any results i will make a post.
Thanks for any help
SkyHawk
Can you post your /etc/fstab please?
This is really weired now. I opened the fstab file and saved it to floppy and it worked.
Here it is,
# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hdc1 / ext2 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hdc2 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
Is this any help
Thanks
Skyhawk
You need a space between "/dev/fd0" and "/floppy". You're basically telling it to mount the device at /dev/fd0 in the location of /floppy.Originally Posted by SkyHawk
![]()
The space did the trick on mounting the HD and the CD rom drive.
Thanks all for the Input. Us New linux users appreciate the help. hope I can add some input for others later on down the line.
SkyHawk

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94
New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00
Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL
$45.50
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99