Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: NEWBIE: Help getting modem work

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10

    NEWBIE: Help getting modem work

    I'm new in Linux. I had a sound problem but I manage to solve it.
    My last problem is to manage to connect to internet. I'm writing this lines from Windows and I would like to do it from Linux.
    I'm using Knoppix 3.2 installed on hard disc with "knx-hdinstall"
    My modem is AGERE SYSTEM PCI SOFT MODEM. In windows it is installed on COM3.
    In KPPP I choose ttyS2 but system says : Modem is busy , and doing nothing. If I choose ttyS0 and Querry modem it recognized it but all ATI fields are blank and modem not working.
    I didn't installed any Linux drivers for it becouse don't now WHAT?
    Can somebody tell me what to download and how to install it and make it work.
    THANKS

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10
    I tried the link above but it want work.
    When I type CAT /PROC/VERSION I got numbers - 2.4.20. Is that my kernel version for wich should I find the driver.

    In Windows my modem port is COM3, so as I understand I should choose ttyS2 in KPPP.
    I did that but it says -MODEM BUSY.
    If I choose ttyS0 or S1 when I start connecting it says MODEM READY and then INITIALIZING MODEM and freez at that point doing nothing.

    What should I do. PLEASE HELP.
    noppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8146[/url][/quote]

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10

    Re: NEWBIE: Help getting modem work

    I’m almost there, so PLEASE if anyone can, help me:
    This is what I did so far:

    Download Ltmodem-8.26a9.tar.gz
    Type as root:

    tar xvfz ltmodem-8.26a9.tar.gz
    cd ltmodem-8.26a9
    ./build_module
    ./ltinst2
    ./autoload

    In that final step (autoload) I recieved error message something like:
    The drver version is .... gcc=3
    The kernel version.... gcc=2
    And that conflict of this two could crash the kernel and that I
    should avoid this somehow

    Then I typed:
    mknod /dev/ttyLT0 c 62 64 (I had copy this ,should I change the numbers)
    chmod a+rw /dev/ttyLT0
    ln –sf /dev/ttyLT0 /dev/modem
    insmod –f lt_modem.o
    insmod –f lt_serial.o

    After starting KPPP and connect button modems says: Modem ready
    Then: initializing modem and starting to dial numbers.
    But nothings happend. I do not heare modem dialing (I have a pulse dialing set in modem command from ATDT to ATDP)
    While doing that entire system seems to be crash becouse everything seem to be slower and my mouse movements are slow too and cuting.

    I’m trying for days to fix the problem and only thing connecting me to Windows XP is networking witch I can’t enable in Linux.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10

    Re: NEWBIE: Help getting modem work

    I had skip the autoload part and everything seem to be at the right place and responding with right answers but I can't get modem to detect and have a dial tone. I tried everything. Any sugestions.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    denver, co
    Posts
    72
    The GCC warning when you were compiling the modem means that your kernel was compiled with 2.95 and you just compiled your modules with 3.something. This is no good, since you shouldn't (or can't) mix major version numbers when you are compiling kernels and modules. You can edit the makefile to use gcc-2.95 or you can permanently change which compiler is used by doing:
    rm /usr/bin/gcc
    ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-2.95 /usr/bin/gcc

    and recompiling the modules. Then they should install and work just hunky dory.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10
    Thank you for help.
    After few days with no replays,I was beggining to think that maybe there is no solution. But you solve only half of my problem. I did as you said:
    rm /usr/bin/gcc
    ln –s /usr/bin/gcc-2.95 /usr/bin/gcc
    and then :

    ./build_module
    ./ltinst2
    ./autoload

    This time „autoload“ part went with no error messages and modules are load OK.
    But again when I try to connect everything seems fine and on the end I recieved „No dialton“ message.

    After autoload I typed: ./checkout
    And the part about my modem is:

    Found PCI_DEVICE=11c1:048c MODEM_ID=11C1:048c
    00:0a.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics: Unknown device 048c
    00:0a.0 Class 0780: 11c1:044c
    Subsystem: 11c1:044c
    Flags: Bus master,medium devsel,latency 32,IRQ 18
    I/O ports at d000
    I/O ports at d400

    As you see modem is at IRQ18, but if I type: setserial ttyLT0 I get IRQ 10. Why is that ? What is right command to change it?

    Report from scanModem show that 11c1:048c is still NOT supported under Linux but with few exeptions. How can I be sure that my modem is really dead for Linux ?
    Any replay even with no real solution is welcome.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-24-2005, 07:37 PM
  2. Newbie - Need Help Getting Modem To Work
    By Filbert in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 08:12 AM
  3. Newbie needs help getting USB mouse to work
    By JrBobDobbs in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 09:35 PM
  4. Newbie - Cable modem install
    By slicksps in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-09-2003, 02:49 AM
  5. Newbie Modem problems...
    By Rorypyro in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2003, 10:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver picture

Cisco SFP-10G-SR V03 850nm 10GBASE-SR SFP+ MMF 10-2415-03 Transceiver

$4.99



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$20.70