-
Should I upgrade to Testing?
Right now, I have a working Knoppix system, with no major upgrades from 3.3.
My problem is that installing new software is a pain. I believe this is related to the mix-n-match attitude of Knoppix towards Debian stable/testing/unstable. For example, to install kmidi, I need to install timidity, which depends on libvorbis0. Synaptic says installing libvorbis0 would uninstall half the software on this computer. This is a common problem, and in most cases, I either give up, or spend a few hours unravelling the web of programs.
So, would upgrading to Debian testing elliminate these problems? Would there be any potential problems making the upgrade?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Should I upgrade to Testing?

Originally Posted by
evilmrhenry
Right now, I have a working Knoppix system, with no major upgrades from 3.3.
My problem is that installing new software is a pain. I believe this is related to the mix-n-match attitude of Knoppix towards Debian stable/testing/unstable. For example, to install kmidi, I need to install timidity, which depends on libvorbis0. Synaptic says installing libvorbis0 would uninstall half the software on this computer. This is a common problem, and in most cases, I either give up, or spend a few hours unravelling the web of programs.
So, would upgrading to Debian testing elliminate these problems? Would there be any potential problems making the upgrade?
Even easier solution put a # character in front of the stable lines in the /etc/apt/sources.list or since you are using synaptic just edit the sources with the option there, then (apt-get) update and you will only get packages from the testing/unstable branches so this will eliminate those conflicts with packages from stable getting pulled in and trying to uninstall half the system.
Code:
HappyTux:/home/stephen# apt-cache policy libvorbis0
libvorbis0:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 1.0rc3-1
Version Table:
1.0rc3-1 0
500 http://ftp2.de.debian.org stable/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
Similar Threads
-
By nosknoppix in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-06-2005, 01:07 PM
-
By maxIT in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-16-2005, 08:13 PM
-
By foamrotreturns in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-01-2005, 11:44 PM
-
By gopikrish in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-18-2004, 02:40 PM
-
By hyao in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-01-2003, 03:40 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

New Dell PowerEdge Server R360 Xeon E-2488 3.2G 16GB RAM 4X800GB SSD 6x600GB SAS
$3890.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$381.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell R740XD All Flash 2U Server Full 24 x U.2 NVME 2x Xeon 6240R 48 CORE HOMELAB
$849.95

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

DELL R740 8LFF Server 2x Gold 6152 2.1GHz =44 Cores H740p 4xRJ45
$895.00