Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Network sharing

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1

    Network sharing

    Hi @ all

    I am a newbie on linux (3 Days) and I have a lot of problems, but I think everyone has problems in begining.
    But I work harder to become better.

    For 3 days now I am searching for a solution. Google is my best Friend, but I found nothing that could help me.

    My problem is that I have no connections from linux to my windows PCīs.
    All PCīs are connected over a Router ( 192.168.1.1)
    Internet works fine.
    Ping works also in both directions.

    DHCP Broadcast: No
    IP for eth0: 192.168.1.35
    Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Broadcast 192.168.1.255
    Default-Gateway 192.168.1.1
    Nameserver 192.168.1.1

    I think that I have to change Samba.conf
    I tried this tutorial but it doesnīt work. http://knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqSambaQuick

    cd/etc/samba
    bash: File not found

    ok I tried it without cd
    /etc/samba
    bash: is a dirctory

    cp smb.conf smb1.conf
    cp: no stat: File not found


    I wolud be nice to have Knoppix Linux as a fileserver, but how?

    Knoppix runs from cd and I suppose that it must work as Fileserver also from cd or is it necessary that I have to install it on HD with knx-hdinstall skript?
    I read on google that there is a webfrontent swat but I didnīt find it on Knoppix linux. Is there anybody who can help me with this problem?
    (The answer can also be in German, or dutch.)

    Thanks a lot to all

    Best regards Piet

  2. #2
    You might try LinNeighborhood, it is a port of network neighborhood. It will give you a gui for samba that lets you set up file and printer sharing. It might not be exactly what you want but it is a start. Just apt-get it

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    7

    What ever happen to Samba???

    Hi there ...

    Ok When you were installing Knoppix to your HD, after it copied the files to your HD, it started to Ask you questions so it could configurate your box correctly; some of these questions where as follows:

    Start a Mail Server (smail) at boot? (y or N) (No)
    Start sshd at boot? (y or N) (Yes)
    Start Samba at boot? (y or n) (Yes)
    Start KDE at boot? (y or n) (Yes)

    Ok the thing is if you answered "NO" to the Samba question
    samba is not starting at boot and no communication can ocurre. the other thing is Knoppix already bring a utility called XSMBrowser which in it's onw way is somelike MSN NetworkNeighborhood. I hope this helps....

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    43

    Re: Network sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by piet
    I am a newbie on linux (3 Days) and I have a lot of problems, but I think everyone has problems in begining. But I [will] work harder to become better.
    Quote Originally Posted by piet
    cd/etc/samba
    bash: File not found
    Problem 1: put a space after every command and every argument in UNIX. DOS doesn't care; UNIX does...

    Quote Originally Posted by piet
    ok I tried it without cd
    /etc/samba
    bash: is a dirctory
    Problem 2: You can't "execute" a directory.

    Quote Originally Posted by piet
    cp smb.conf smb1.conf
    cp: no stat: File not found
    Problem 3: smb.conf is missing; if you couldn't cd to the directory, then that's why.

    There are a lot of good introductory books to Linux and UNIX; I would recommend a book called "Running Linux" from O'Reilly and Associates.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2
    Just try smbmount this should work fine

Similar Threads

  1. Sharing /swp
    By didymos in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2004, 10:10 AM
  2. Internet sharing?
    By morfar in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 02:53 AM
  3. Sharing network connection
    By Jeffr680J in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 10:46 AM
  4. internet connection sharing with 2 network cards
    By tealeaf in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-04-2003, 09:56 AM
  5. Desktop Sharing
    By Edwin in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 09:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Supermicro X10DRU-i 2U  12LFF  2x E5-2680 v4  128gb Ram  480gb SSD 2x Nvidia K80 picture

Supermicro X10DRU-i 2U 12LFF 2x E5-2680 v4 128gb Ram 480gb SSD 2x Nvidia K80

$749.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00