Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Noisy Fan help.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3

    Noisy Fan help.

    I have a VAIO 1ghz desktop. Normally when it boots up, the fan revs up during boot, and once Windows starts loading, it calms down to a slower speed. When I try to boot Knoppix, the fan revs up and STAYS like that (really fast and really loud). I dont want to risk damaging the fan while using Knoppix (that, and it is annoying working with a super loud fan). Any help?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157
    For goodness sakes DON'T use WD-40! I heard of a person that stuck the nozzle in a hole and blasted the inside of his PC until it made a loud snap and started to smoke! The guy that fixed it said it was dripping when he opened the case!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157
    Actually he just opened the case and didn't bother fixing it.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3
    Well, Im a Linux noob so I was basically wondering if I can go into the command promt and input something to rev down the fan, make it run at a normal level? Are there any tools that come with knoppix that do that?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    First of all, Hunkah, I heard of someone using WD-40 on a Swamp Cooler water pump (aka Evaporative Cooler) - the pump runs on 120 volt, and when they sprayed the pump motor with the lubricant, it burst into flames - it states right on the can - FLAMABLE - so, unless a fan motor is "cooled down" - don't attempt a flamable lubricant on one...

    Second of all, RoamZero, are you running Knoppix from the CD, or have you installed it on the hard drive (i.e. you don't need to load the CD to boot Knoppix) ???

    Are you sure the fan you are hearing is coming from the CPU? Or the Power Supply? Or it might be coming from the CDROM motor...

    Those newer CDROM's can "spin-up" to some serious revolutions per minute, and what you might be hearing is the cdrom motor...

    I think their is a setting (somewhere) on setting revs "max" on the cdrom speed, as for any of the "other" fans (your guess is as good as mine, I haven't heard of any settings)

    Cuddles

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3
    I am running it from the CD. However, the CD drive motor only contributes a small amount of noise. I hear the fans "rev" up evertime I boot, regardless of whether there is a cd in the drive or not. I think this has to do with the fact that my PC is a small form factor one, and it probably does that because upon boot, alot of power is drawn into a small space, so the fans are somehow set to go faster because of that. The thing is that the fans die down immediatly when Windows starts running, but not with Knoppix, they just continue blowing really fast.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157
    I am not an expert on this type of thing, but your system somewhat new?

    I know there is a new fan system that goes faster when your system is hotter. I don't know if it is a BIOS setting or an OS setting, but the fact that it slows down in windows leads me to believe that it is an OS setting, or that your OS is over-ridding the BIOS settings.

    Could be that Knoppix doesn't yet support that type of function.

    Then again I could be wrong. I was waiting to see if anyone that has ever installed one would jump in with a comment first.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Osnabrück, Germany
    Posts
    95
    IIRC, the fan and the batteries on recent laptops are controlled via ACPI which isn't fully implemented on the 2.4 kernel. And since you are running knoppix from cd, there's no way of toying around with different kernels/patches.. So you might want to try disabling ACPI in the BIOS setup menu and enabling APM instead if possible.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00