Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: CD fails to boot

  1. #1

    CD fails to boot

    I could be totally missing something obvious, but I've burned two cd's, and I can't get a computer to boot from either of them. I've changed the BIOS settings on each computer to boot from CD first, before floppy and HD. When I put a disk in the computer, I don't get Windows OR Knoppix, I just get a black screen with a white line in the top left corner (like a DOS command prompt, but just that one little underscore).
    Anyway, if anyone could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    If you boot windows from the HD like before and then load the CD and look at it's contents what do you see ?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10

    boot problem

    I get the boot where when it tells me

    "boot failed insert system disk"

    or something to that effect.....
    Please help

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361

    Re: boot problem

    Quote Originally Posted by millennia
    I get the boot where when it tells me

    "boot failed insert system disk"

    or something to that effect.....
    Please help
    Are you trying to boot from the CD ? Did you burn it yourself ? If so just do what I suggested in my previous post so we can find out if it has been burned the right way.

  5. #5
    I get two BIN files, one is BOOTCAT, the other is BOOTIMG.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyappleton
    I get two BIN files, one is BOOTCAT, the other is BOOTIMG.
    Huh ?
    At least you don't have a CD with just one big *.iso file which seems to be a common mistake.
    What you should see is:
    • Demos KNOPPIX Talks autorun.bat autorun.inf cdrom.ico index.html

    Of those Demos, KNOPPIX and Talks are directories (folders).
    The KNOPPIX directory should contain this:
    • KNOPPIX KNOPPIX-FAQ.txt images index_it.html knoppix-header.gif web-background.gif
      KNOPPIX-FAQ-EN.txt LICENSE.txt index.html index_jp.html links.html
      KNOPPIX-FAQ-ES.txt README_Security.txt index_dk.html index_nl.html md5sums
      KNOPPIX-FAQ-FR.txt background.jpg index_en.html index_ru.html mkfloppy.bat
      KNOPPIX-FAQ-IT.txt boot.cat index_es.html knoblind.bat rawrite2-readme.txt
      KNOPPIX-FAQ-NL.txt boot.img index_fr.html knoppix-cheatcodes.txt rawrite2.exe


    Have you checked the md5sum of the *.iso file before burning it ?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    A .bin file is just another image file like .iso
    I thought Knoppix comes as isos, but try burning the image to a cd and see what happens.
    If you're using Nero close the wizards and choose File -> Burn Image
    Then select the 700 Mb .bin file and burn it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    A .bin file is just another image file like .iso
    I thought Knoppix comes as isos, but try burning the image to a cd and see what happens.
    Umm, I think in this case those refer to the boot.cat and boot.img files in the KNOPPIX directory..

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    And some more sloppy reading by me

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    10
    windos_no_thanks wrote
    Are you trying to boot from the CD ? Did you burn it yourself ? If so just do what I suggested in my previous post so we can find out if it has been burned the right way.
    Yes I'm trying to boot fro the CD. I did burn it myself . Yes it has all the files in it. When I boot it will boot me up, give me the knoppix logo and ask for which boot options. (It gives me the command prompt boot
    I tryied alot of differnt options but none seem to work.
    I have downloaded PHLAK and I use fbdev module on that,
    but on Knoppix it doesnt work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. CD Boot works, HDD Installed boot fails at second hurdle
    By Rib in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 12:43 PM
  2. Knoppix Fails to boot
    By julan in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 07:54 AM
  3. Remastered CD fails to boot
    By bhaskar in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 07:12 AM
  4. boot from floppy fails ??
    By Goner in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2003, 01:16 AM
  5. Fails to boot
    By AndrewDucker in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-20-2003, 09:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro SYS-E302-9A Fanless Firewall Atom C3558 16GB ECC 64GB SSD 6x GbE i350 picture

Supermicro SYS-E302-9A Fanless Firewall Atom C3558 16GB ECC 64GB SSD 6x GbE i350

$325.00



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00