-
Realtek 8169 1000TX nic crashes boot
New user here (of linux / Knoppix).
I have downloaded and burned the CD (Ver 3.3 2-16-04) and tried booting Knoppix.
However, the boot stalls and the computer locks up at trying to get the DHCP address for le0. The screen reports "oops 0000" prints a bunch of other text (seems to be related to the next items that should load) and then crashes the interrupt handler. Only a hard reset will allow cd ejection and restart.
knoppix TestCd completes normally.
I'm pretty sure that the problem is the realtek 8169/8110 gigabit ethernet nic built into the motherboard. If I disable the nic in bios then knoppix completes the boot process and starts up fine (with the exception that the Sounblaster live 5.1 card doesn't seem to be detected (although it finds the soundblaster EMU301 portion of the hardware).
So, I need to know how i can fix these problems?
I tried to search the forums about the Nic card but only found references to the RTL 8139 , which isn't gigabit (1000TX).
Obviously the Gigabit Nic will need a driver for knoppix implemented.
In trying to figure out the Soundblaster issue it said that the driver wasn't in the kernel path, or directory. I'm not sure exactly what it said , since I couldn't print at the time. ( I have since set up the printer but I couldn't find the exact place where I got the message about the path.) I also seem to have a problem saving the configuration, but I need to get the NIc and sound working before approaching that.
Obviously I'm sending this from the windows UI.
Any help would be appreciated. thanks
Scott
The other hardware is :
Amd 2700+ processor
1gig DDR 400 Ram
Gigabyte GA N400 pro2 motherboard
TI4800SE Nvidea graphics card
Windoze XP system (Two NTFS formatted HD.s, Sony DVD/CDRW burner)
Similar Threads
-
By thelordofthechip in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-25-2005, 02:17 PM
-
By henning.scheid in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-11-2004, 10:05 AM
-
By vacode in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 8
Last Post: 06-01-2004, 01:11 AM
-
By ruymbeke in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-13-2004, 10:05 PM
-
By Pierscoe1 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-25-2004, 09:34 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC
$69.99

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

Intel 4004IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair
$50.99

Microcomputer Builder's Bible IMSAI 8080 Z80 ADM-3A DEC LSI-11 Altair 8800 Bus
$65.00

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99

S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco
$89.99

1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800
$59.99

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00