-
Senior Member
registered user
Apt-get upgrade problems, AGAIN - GRRRR
This is really ticking me off, you do one apt-get upgrade, and "something" always gets messed up...
Last time it was XINE, now its LOGIN...
apt-get upgrade stated it was upgrading xdm, and a whole slew of other things, after it downloaded everything, xdm config screen popped up, stating it can't have two display servers running, I had to choose...
The choices were:
kde
xdm
Considering I have been, and have always used kde, I told it to use kde -=- xdm went through a lot of spewed messages, and some file changes, and when it completed, I was back to my root prompt.
Falling back to my old days in Windows, the sure test of any problems is always a reboot...
NOW -=- I get my debian login screen, but no matter what account I select, and enter the proper password for that account, it goes to a black screen, and then pops back up the debian login screen again...
I can't get into my system now...
Why does this always happen when I do a apt-get upgrade? Isn't that what you are "supposed" to do? I am "seriously" getting a "phobic" reaction to doing anything "upgrading" wise on my system here, at least as far as Linux is concerned.
How do I get back into my system?
what a majority of the packages, xdm included, versions were something like 3.0.3-2 or something like that...
Help, this is starting to become a "useless" OS, if you can't get things to run, or when you do, it crashes when you try and upgrade something.
Thanks in advance,
Cuddles
Similar Threads
-
By funny1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-28-2004, 06:40 PM
-
By voldemort_b in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 12
Last Post: 03-14-2004, 09:47 PM
-
By spiritwing in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-11-2004, 05:48 AM
-
By Paradox in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-07-2004, 01:58 AM
-
By silkodyssey in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-15-2003, 02:56 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1245v6 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD
$483.99

HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$164.97

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD
$477.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00