-
Junior Member
registered user
Where to pose this question ?
Hi.
Couple of weeks ago, we did a successful installation to hdd of the 2003-11-14Knoppix. And it was smooth. And simple. Nothing fancy, mostly just defaults. This week I got my first serial modem, and fiddled with BIOS to get it serving Win2K, which occupies the other half of my hdd. Lilo is my booter. Well, now X doesn't recognize my keyboard. Windows, the Knoppix cd, Debian commandline...they all do, but not X (and not Konsole). Wha' hoppen ? And how to fix it ?
Should I properly be asking this in a Debian forum ? Or is this a reasonable Knoppix query because it's a job for the Knoppix cd ?
chada
-
Senior Member
registered user
Try re-setting your bios defaults. In particular, make sure that "non Plug and Play OS" is selected.
I'm mystified as to why you should need to play with the bios to get a simple serial modem to work with 2K (which won't object to "non Plug and Play OS").
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks a lot for your suggestions, fingers99.
"-make sure that "non Plug and Play OS" is selected." Yes, that has been my BIOS setting throughout
The "fiddling" with BIOS which I did was enabling a previously disabled serial port.
I'm guessing that I've somehow disabled my PS2 keyboard in XF86, and I don't know yet how to check or reset it.
Thanks again,
chada
-
Junior Member
registered user
SOLUTION !
A week is all it has taken to find how to tell (expletive deleted) X to resume recognizing my pc101 PS/2 keyboard in my Knoppix/Debian setup. As best I can gather, physically removing my PS/2 mouse changed the description of the keyboard to 105. But switching the description back to 101 in XFConfig-4 was not good enough...the line describing the mouse also had to be commented out. Then X resumed recognizing the keyboard.
Thanks to Christopher (aka franknputer) and lordarkan whose solutions were found in this fascinating string.
<http://www.mepis.org/node/view/335>
chada
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-09-2005, 04:40 PM
-
By mark1221 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-01-2003, 10:32 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD
$249.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD
$239.00

Supermicro SYS-222H-TN 2U 2x 6505P 12 Core 1.5TB DDR5 8x7.68TB NVME Rails
$71656.99

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays
$499.99

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$175.00

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00