-
Junior Member
registered user
How to stop X server
Ctrl+Alt+Bckspc just restarts it in Knoppix, and everywhere I look it says that's the command to kill it. Soooo... any commands I can run from a shell or the ctrl+alt+F1 terminal that'll stop x?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Eh. Nevermind, looked around and found something that worked, at least for what I wanted to do.
For future reference, to those who have the same problem, try this:
ctrl+alt+f1
Then, assuming you're logged in, type
/etc/init.d/kdm stop
Then do what you need to. In my case, install nvidia drivers.
-
Senior Member
registered user
An easier way is to right click on the Desktop, select "log out "someone"", then select "log in as other user". At the graphical log in dialogue, there's a drop down menu which allows you to select "non graphical login" (or somesuch).
-
Junior Member
registered user
Actually, that brings me to another question, heh..
At the lil boot screen, where I choose either Linux or WinNT (xp), I typed 'Linux knoppix 2'. I think I was trying to boot to runlevel 2. Anyway, for some reason, that one login dialogue box, the very first one, everythings in some other language... german or italian or something.
Anyone know how to fix this?
Similar Threads
-
By radnor in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-04-2005, 07:08 PM
-
By ackelley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-13-2005, 01:15 AM
-
By dmitry in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-31-2004, 07:32 PM
-
By illinigator in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-19-2004, 10:11 PM
-
By gvkreisler in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-14-2004, 11:46 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage computer keyboard by Northgate Computer Systems
$249.95

VINTAGE FACTORY SEALED MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER 4.0 CD-ROM - NEW RARE BLUE CD
$34.99

Vintage Gazelle Systems OP-Tune 1.3 Box Complete CIB Dual Floppy 3.5 5.25 DOS
$54.99

Apple iic A2S4000 vintage computer
$200.00

RARE 1994 Vintage Autodesk 3D Studio 4 (DOS) Big Box w/manuals, extras--Read
$200.00

Vintage Corel Draw X3 Graphics Suite 4 CD-ROM NEW
$90.00

HP Hewlett Packard Deskjet 310 With Accessories Vintage EXCELLENT Condition
$164.99

Various vintage computer disks.
$50.00

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used
$39.99

vintage Gateway motherboard, socket 370 1ghz cpu, 256mb ram, cables, power switc
$86.99