Well unless something has changed the Docs provide instructions for FTP
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqFTP
I can't ftp into my knoppix box but can SSH in.
Obviously because ftpd is a different service.
HOW do I activate the ftpd service, and, additionally how can I make it activate on startup?
I've searched the forum finding several people looking on how to start an ftp server, and some people give very odd instructions that end up not helping at all....
I've deleted my /etc/hosts.deny list.... but I still CANNOT access my box via ftp:// on windows....
I'd really appriciate if someone could help me through this (without) giving me bad instructions.
I'm using Knoppix 3.3 for your information.
PLEASE HELP!! THANKS!
Well unless something has changed the Docs provide instructions for FTP
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqFTP
root@linux:/home# passwd knoppix <PASSWORD OBSCURED>
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
root@linux:/home# rm /etc/hosts.deny
rm: remove regular file `/etc/hosts.deny'? u
root@linux:/home# rm /etc/hosts.deny
rm: remove regular file `/etc/hosts.deny'? y
root@linux:/home# rm /etc/hosts.allow
rm: remove regular file `/etc/hosts.allow'? y
root@linux:/home# /etc/init.d/inetd restart
Restarting internet superserver: inetd.
root@linux:/home# ftp localhost
ftp: connect: Connection refused
ftp>
Seems like the instructions did not work, is this my fault or the guy who programs knoppix made a bug in the system?
Please help me resolve this.
Is it me, considering I am a ftp noob here, but wouldn't a "connection refused" from one computer to the other computer, signify the problem is on the "other" computer???
Source = connect
Target = connection refused
Am I wrong here?
Also, Jon, do you have a firewall running? When I neded to get a ftp out of my machine to a remote, my firewall needed to be openned up on both local and internet to accept ftp. In my case, not having the "internet" side set for ftp, gave me "permission denied" messages.
Just curious,
Cuddles
sshd is so easy to setup and use. Why not try sftp?
Regards,
AJG
Is ftpd even runing?Originally Posted by Jon_K
ps aux|grep ftp
I have been! It is really nice, but I will be having people connecting to the box that won't have winSCP.Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
root@linux:/# ps aux|grep ftpOriginally Posted by rickenbacherus
teamspe 14020 0.0 0.1 2760 972 ? SN 21:38 0:00 /usr/lib/sftp-server
root 14698 0.0 0.0 1536 452 pts/1 SN 23:26 0:00 grep ftp
root@linux:/#
Is this right? Help me here rickenbacherus, i appriciate your help
If inetd has been configured to start it ftpd shouldn't be running (except when someone is connected)Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
So can you help windos?Originally Posted by windos_no_thanks
![]()
Well, do you have a line beginning with "ftp " in /etc/inetd.conf ?Originally Posted by Jon_K
(by default I think it has a "#" in front of it which has to be removed if you want ftpd to be started by inetd)

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00
HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$225.61
HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$224.72
Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00
Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00
Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00
Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99
Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000
$99.95
Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB
$98.95
IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on
$500.00