I have Knoppix installed on my HDD as per the instructions, using knoppix-installer (I guess that makes it Debian now). With help from a friend and from another message I posted here yesterday, everything seemed to be working fine. Last night I shut down the computer and went to sleep.
This morning I came and booted up Linux from lilo boot. As usual, it spits out a whole bunch of text before the GUI comes up. This time, though, something happened that never did before - it got stuck! The last three lines were:
And it just stopped there. The only way to get out of that was to power down with the power switch. (I'm logged into WinXP now so that I can post this message.)Starting PCMCIA services: cardmgr[424]: watching 2 sockets
cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: clean
cs: IO port probe 0x0800-0x08ff:
I'm a complete newbie to linux, so I have no idea what to do or what the problem is. Some background info that maybe is pertinent:
I (obviously) am using a laptop - a Dell Latitude to be exact.
And since the problem seems to be connected to the PCMCIA, I'll mention that I have a firewire card in my PCMCIA, with three firewire outlets and an external firewire HDD plugged into that. Yesterday, in order to get linux to recognize my HDD, I had to use the rescan-scsi-bus.sh script that was mentioned somewhere on the internet, and then mount it with mount -t vfat -o ....
As I mentioned, I'm a total and complete newbie, so any help you can give me will be GREATLY appreciated. But please be clear and explicit in your instructions so that I'll understand exactly what to do.
Thanks so much,
V.

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00
HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$225.61
HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$224.72
Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00
Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*
$199.99
Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive
$649.00
Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00
Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000
$99.95
Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB
$98.95
IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on
$500.00