Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: backing up HDD's with dd

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3

    backing up HDD's with dd

    I just started using the Knoppix CD yesterday. (It's actually the first deb-based distro I've tried.)

    I'd like to use to it back up a WinXP machine. My intent is to just boot and dd the whole HDD to an NFS share on a mirrored Sun machine. That way I get the whole MBR and everything. I don't care much about how long it takes, just as long as it works. I figure I finally have the XP install all tweaked and tuned the way I want it and have all the apps I need installed and registered, so I should grab an entire image while it's still good. Over time, the system will probably get broken, distorted, or infected, and restoring an image using Knoppix is a lot simpler than reinstalling. It'll even let me keep my XP activation that way.

    Is this a good idea? Is it a bad idea? I've never heard of anyone doing anything similar. Is there anything I should take into consideration (besides needing a HUGE storage volume)?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    I'm not to sure it would work because windows xp uses a NTFS filesystem. if your useing the offical knoppix then there is no safe way to write a ntfs file (thats more of a problem when restoring really.)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3
    That's why I'm thinking the dd utility would be a good way to do it. dd is like rawrite.exe for windows. It records a raw bit-by-bit copy of the device without looking at blocks and filesystems. You don't even need to mount the desired volume to copy it.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Instead of dd, see:
    ' apt-cache show partimage '
    ' man partimage '

    Quote Originally Posted by mwer
    That's why I'm thinking the dd utility would be a good way to do it. dd is like rawrite.exe for windows. It records a raw bit-by-bit copy of the device without looking at blocks and filesystems. You don't even need to mount the desired volume to copy it.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9
    I use a utility from www.novastor.com called instant recovery. It is based off some type of Linux and I use it to back up ANY type of OS. It will let you back up to almost any type of media as well as backup up across the network.

    Unless someone else can show me that DD works the same, I won't use anything else.

    Just a little FYI.


  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    oH DD is a raw writing utility? thats exactly what I have been looking for!

    I had no idea. Now I can finally move my hardrive info to another bigger hardrive. (needed this because I'm useing a HP which has a recovery partition)

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    17
    I have been using dd successfully, backing up a complete HD to an image file. It does not check any file sstem, just copies theraw data!
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/hdb1/hda.img bs=1M
    or cleaning out unused space and compressing it
    Code:
    # For every partition x
    mount /dev/hdax
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/test/null.txt bs=1M ; rm -f /mnt/hda1/null.txt
    umount /mnt/test
    # Backup with compression
    dd if=/dev/hda bs=1M | gzip -9 -c > /mnt/hdb1/hda.img
    I have also moved partitions from one HD to another this way, but it only works if the head count is the same![/code]

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Restoring From An Image File

    Well, I finally found someone in this forum who backs up to an image file.

    That is what I tried last week and NOW thanks to my own INCREDIBLE STUPIDITY
    I need to restore my Knoppix partition from that file. (Long story. Let's not go there)

    When I backed up the Knoppix partition I did:

    dd if=/dev/hdb2 of=/mnt/hda6/hdb2.img

    To get restore Knoppix to /dev/hdb2 I assume I need to

    mount -t /dev/hda6/hdb2.img

    first and then

    "dd" back to the original /dev/hdb2 partition.

    Any tips/tricks/caveats/advice before I attempt this?

    Oh, I assume I should format the /dev/hdb2 partition first to start clean, right?

    Thanks,

    sakiZ

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Restoring From An Image File

    --You're on the right track, but you don't even need to mount the image file; just:

    ' time dd if=/mnt/hda6/hdb2.img of=/dev/hdb2 bs=10M '

    --MAKE SURE /dev/hdb2 is unmounted **before** you do this!!
    And there is no need to reformat 1st, because DD will return it to the exact same state it was in at the time of backup.

    --Good luck, and keep backing up regularly.

    Quote Originally Posted by sakiZ
    Well, I finally found someone in this forum who backs up to an image file.

    That is what I tried last week and NOW thanks to my own INCREDIBLE STUPIDITY
    I need to restore my Knoppix partition from that file. (Long story. Let's not go there)

    When I backed up the Knoppix partition I did:

    dd if=/dev/hdb2 of=/mnt/hda6/hdb2.img

    To get restore Knoppix to /dev/hdb2 I assume I need to

    mount -t /dev/hda6/hdb2.img

    first and then

    "dd" back to the original /dev/hdb2 partition.

    Any tips/tricks/caveats/advice before I attempt this?

    Oh, I assume I should format the /dev/hdb2 partition first to start clean, right?

    Thanks,

    sakiZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Backing up Windows using Knoppix
    By Flash00 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-12-2005, 12:34 AM
  2. backing up the MBR
    By nishtya in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 01:44 PM
  3. 2 HDD's
    By BlkBear in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 08:21 PM
  4. backing up question
    By guardianx in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 12:47 AM
  5. backing everything up
    By UselessPython in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 01:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro SuperServer 1029U-TN10RT 1U Rack Dual Xeon 2.70GHz 256GB picture

Supermicro SuperServer 1029U-TN10RT 1U Rack Dual Xeon 2.70GHz 256GB

$500.00



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM

$289.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$199.99



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00