have you found an solution?
you say you see grub, but (I havent used knoppix lately so I can be wrong) knoppix uses LILO nog grub. So what knoppix are you using? and you see grub, what exactly do you see?
Hi,
I am new to the Linux world and KNOPPIX was my first experience with Linux. I was impressed with it and tried to install it on my hdd. All went well until i reboot. I get to the prompt "GRUB" and then nothing happens. Can someone please help me out with this?
Thanks in advance
Cheers,
dantay
have you found an solution?
you say you see grub, but (I havent used knoppix lately so I can be wrong) knoppix uses LILO nog grub. So what knoppix are you using? and you see grub, what exactly do you see?
Hi superstoned,
That was what I thought too. I was baffled to see GRUB prompt greeting me. I THINK that I got over the initial problem I was having. I have had my hdd as the secondary master (there are no primary master or slave, my comp's interior is in a mess and ... I just got too lazy to move my hdd around) and after reading some of the postings, one of them pointed out that I could modify the lilo.conf. So I did and changed boot=/dev/hda to boot=/dev/hdc.
From then on, KNOPPIX loaded ... half way and I get some error message about bad CRC on my hdd and stops. I can't really remember the exact error message right now though. Therefore, I suspect there is something wrong with the hdd but I have been using it for some time and it works.
So, is what I did at the begining (altering the .conf file) the correct thing to do? Or would it have caused some CRC problem (??) to my hdd?
Thanks in advance.
well, its unlikely your disk is broken (or, part of it) but not impossible.
anyway, I'd start moving your hdisk to a propper place (e.g. primary master), it might help. I've seen alot of problems with these things too, esp with raid-hardware present in the system.
and what you did with the conf file is oke, it shouldnt give problems. but you have to re-run lilo for the new config to be applied (guess you did, it worked isnt it?)

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99
HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
$280.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99
SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays
$499.99
1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$175.00
Supermicro X10DRU-i 2U 12LFF 2x E5-2680 v4 128gb Ram 480gb SSD 2x Nvidia K80
$749.99
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00
Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers*
$159.99