Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: WLAN-config on bootup

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Austria, Europe
    Posts
    14

    WLAN-config on bootup

    Hello!

    I'm a newbie to linux and don't know how to configure Knoppix 3.3 to qutomatically configure my WLAN-Card (Netgear WG311, 54mbit) during bootup. Knoppix is installed to my HDD, and I want to use it for Internet access. I have to configure ip-adress and Gateway everytime I boot Knoppix manually.
    Please, can tell me somebody where I can permanently enter IP aand gateway?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: WLAN-config on bootup

    Quote Originally Posted by cybersmurf
    Hello!

    I'm a newbie to linux and don't know how to configure Knoppix 3.3 to qutomatically configure my WLAN-Card (Netgear WG311, 54mbit) during bootup. Knoppix is installed to my HDD, and I want to use it for Internet access. I have to configure ip-adress and Gateway everytime I boot Knoppix manually.
    Please, can tell me somebody where I can permanently enter IP aand gateway?
    You need to edit the file /etc/network/interfaces it should look similar to this:
    Code:
    # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
    
    # The loopback interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    
    # The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
    # (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
            address 192.168.0.1
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            network 192.168.0.0
            broadcast 192.168.0.255
            gateway 192.168.0.254
    You would of course change the file for your settings this done as root.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Austria, Europe
    Posts
    14
    Thankyouveryy much for your help Stephen, but it still dos not work.
    ath0 (my WLAN card, it is the secondary ethernet controller in my machine, eth0 is the onboard ethernet controller) won't be configured automatically while booting Knoppix.
    Is there anybody with a similar hardware configuration? Then please tell me, how you solved this problem.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1
    Try using the script but instead of Eth0 put Eth1 instead. Then you will have your two ethernet connections.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Austria, Europe
    Posts
    14
    Thank you for that hin doeboy, but it still doesn't work.
    I'll try to put the wlan-card into an other slot as it is now directly below my tuner-card.
    I think, the wlancard was already in the slot as I installed knoppix and the driver, but the recommendations of the manufacturer were to first install the driver and then plug in the card.
    Perhaps this causes the wlan-card to work as it should.

    Ok, this didn't change anything CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME, PLEASE!!!!

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Austria, Europe
    Posts
    14
    Perhaps the problem is the knoppix mode while booting from hd. next time i set up linux i'll try debian mode, but this could last some time as i neither want to re-install a working system, nor have problem making a new install necessary.
    if somebody solves that problem, please tell me.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1
    I was wondering if you could help me. I have a WG311 and want to use it from LiveCD (although i may be moving onto a harddisk soon). If you can tell me where to find what I need I'd be most grateful. Plus I can then take a look at your problem.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1
    Cybermurf wrote:
    Hello!

    I'm a newbie to linux and don't know how to configure Knoppix 3.3 to qutomatically configure my WLAN-Card (Netgear WG311, 54mbit) during bootup. Knoppix is installed to my HDD, and I want to use it for Internet access. I have to configure ip-adress and Gateway everytime I boot Knoppix manually.
    Please, can tell me somebody where I can permanently enter IP aand gateway?

    Hello Cybermurf,
    I found your posting from last year today in searching a solution for my not detected WLAN card of the same type like yours. Whenever I boot Knoppix 3.3 or 3.4 (special c't-edition with kernel 2.4 or 2.6) from CD I get the message 'No WLAN Card detected' when I try to configure it. How did you succeed to make Linux aware of the hardware?

    I would enjoy to get an answer from you or from anybody else
    Regards

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Austria, Europe
    Posts
    14
    At first you need to download the MadWiFi driver. You can get it from sourceforge.net. You have to download it via CVS with the command:

    cvs -z3 -dserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/madwifi co madwifi

    Then you have to compile the driver by changing to the folder madwifi. Just type "make all" and then "make install". Now the drivers are automatically loaded during boot-up.
    Temporarily you can set an IP by "ifconfig ath0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up" ( you can choose your own IP).
    Then set the gateway by:
    route add default gw (router's IP)

    Then there should be a wireless inet-connection.

Similar Threads

  1. WLAN Config Problem
    By scara in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-30-2005, 03:14 PM
  2. Kde bootup slow - stuck on "initializing system config&
    By big_linux_geek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-19-2005, 09:08 PM
  3. Better Wlan config tools
    By lotech in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 05:08 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 03:11 AM
  5. wlan config fail ... iwconfig ...
    By sirzion in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 11:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD + 3TB HDD picture

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD + 3TB HDD

$799.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$187.50