Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: j2re1.4 - what is?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401

    j2re1.4 - what is?

    While apt-getting nicotine I get a rather long customer agreement I guess related to Sun java libraries. At the end of the text the install stops. I'm not sure what to do. I end up having to kill the process.

    When I go to apt-get something else I get a message to run dpkg --configure -a to fix things up.

    This happens using root shell or konsole.

    Any suggestions?

    TIA

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Java 2 runtime environment. Apparently, the site has reason to believe that you don't have a sufficiently up-to-date version installed.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: j2re1.4 - what is?

    Quote Originally Posted by rusty
    While apt-getting nicotine I get a rather long customer agreement I guess related to Sun java libraries. At the end of the text the install stops. I'm not sure what to do. I end up having to kill the process.

    When I go to apt-get something else I get a message to run dpkg --configure -a to fix things up.

    This happens using root shell or konsole.

    Any suggestions?

    TIA
    Run the command suggested (dpkg --configure -a) as root to configure the packages missed when you broke out of the install and apt-get --reinstall install j2re1.4 and answer yes or y to the question it asked about accepting the license or use --purge remove if you do not want the package it has nothing to do with nicotine.

    Code:
     HappyTux:/home/stephen# apt-cache policy j2re1.4
    j2re1.4:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 1.4.1-2.1
      Version Table:
         1.4.1-2.1 0
            500 http://ma2geo.mathematik.uni-karlsruhe.de binary/ Packages
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# apt-cache policy nicotine
    nicotine:
      Installed: 1.0.7-1
      Candidate: 1.0.7-1
      Version Table:
     *** 1.0.7-1 0
            990 http://ftp2.de.debian.org testing/main Packages
            600 http://ftp2.de.debian.org unstable/main Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Here's the problem, in konsole I am left with this

    Code:
    SUN IS WILLING TO LICENSE JAVA(TM) 2 RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT, STANDARD EDITION,
    VERSION 1.4.1 PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE TO YOU ONLY UPON THE CONDITION THAT YOU
    ACCEPT ALL OF THE TERMS CONTAINED IN THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT ("AGREEMENT").
    PLEASE READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS LICENSE CAREFULLY. BY
    INSTALLING  THIS SOFTWARE, YOU ACCEPT THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS
    LICENSE AGREEMENT. IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO BE BOUND  BY ITS TERMS, SELECT
    THE "DECLINE" BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM  OF THIS PAGE AND THE INSTALLATION
    PROCESS WILL NOT CONTINUE.
    But no DECLINE button appears, instead:

    Code:
    11.5 This Agreement is the parties' entire agreement relating to its subject
    matter.  It supersedes all prior or contemporaneous oral or written
    communications, proposals, conditions, representations and warranties and
    prevails over any conflicting or additional terms of any quote, order,
    acknowledgment, or other communication between the parties relating to its
    subject matter during the term of this Agreement.  No modification to this
    Agreement will be binding, unless in writing and signed by an authorized
    representative of each party.
    (LFI#10032/Form ID#011801)
    (END)
    I can't figure out what to do next, maybe run apt-get -f unstable install ....??

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    apt-get --purge remove j2re1.4 and get rid of it, any software that will not install properly does not deserve to be on the machine and you should report a bug to the maintainer.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    148
    @rusty
    the licnese agreement is displayed in the 'less' pager - to quit this pager, press 'q'. then the installer tells you to type 'yes' or 'no' (do you accept the license agreement?).

    @Stephen
    I tried re-installing, then un-installing and then installing cleanly once again, but the same bloody error
    Code:
    update-alternatives: unable to make /usr/lib/mozilla-cvs/plugins/javaplugin_oji.
    directory
    dpkg: error processing j2re1.4 (--configure):
     subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     j2re1.4
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    get the same errors when I try 'dpkg --configure -a'

    OK I'm now ready to get shot of j2re1.4 except that I need a jre/jvm (what is the right term?) to run a couple of pieces of software. Can anyone recommend another jre/jvm? While googling I came across kaffe http://www.kaffe.org/ - has anyone tried this?

    BTW came across this debian mailing list post on this very problem http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg03564.html

    Anyway, I'm going to mull this over (stil got my kde 3.2 problwm to finish sorting out); I'll pop here later to see if nayone has got a suggestion, and I'll definately post back here with my final *solution* (working or not!).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03 picture

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03

$15.00



Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED picture

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED

$24.99



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver

$30.00