Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Cannot start X under any users other than root

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2

    Cannot start X under any users other than root

    I installed knoppix 3.3 using the knx-hdinstall command. This worked flawlessly and have been running the kne3 desktop with no problems as root. However, when I login as a different user, from the X login screen, it just comes back to the X login screen. I can login to a user in terminal mode no problem, but, when I run X I get two errors:
    1) No space left in the user's home directory.
    2) Don't have permission to run the X server.

    I have tried deleteing and adding new users but nothing works. I am at the point where maybe I should just re-install knoppix?
    Anyone have any ideas.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1
    To allow users other than root start x,add "Console" to /etc/X11/XServer.
    This means users logged in at the console may start x.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2
    Will this allow me to change users by logging in and out under kde?

Similar Threads

  1. help Give users root access
    By warpedmind in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 12:10 AM
  2. KDE cannot start new sessions for any user but root
    By lavaman094 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-10-2003, 07:40 AM
  3. OpenOffice non Root or Knoppix Users
    By rec9140 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2003, 07:21 PM
  4. KNOPPIX CD Default Install May Let Local Users Grab Root
    By adamm in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-20-2003, 10:17 PM
  5. root and users have different screen resoultions
    By apax in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2003, 05:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$799.00



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL picture

VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL

$169.00



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00