Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Problem with "root=" kernel command-line argument

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Problem with "root=" kernel command-line argument

    So I ran the knoppix-installer script and successfully got a working Knoppix filesystem installed onto my USB hard disk, /dev/sda2. The phase of the installation where the boot disk is created failed, which is no big problem since I don't think this machine can boot from a USB floppy.

    My plan was to boot from the CD again with the boot command "knoppix root=/dev/sda2". This doesn't work - Knoppix just boots into it's regular mode, using the uncompressed root drive image.

    It's as if the kernel ignores the root= parameter.

    I can actually boot from a Gentoo CD with the LILO command "gentoo root=/dev/sda2" and this *works*. So I know that the hard drive install worked correctly.

    Anyone know why I can't get the parameter to be adhered to? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    148

    Re: Problem with "root=" kernel command-line argum

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeyBoy
    I can actually boot from a Gentoo CD with the LILO command "gentoo root=/dev/sda2" and this *works*. So I know that the hard drive install worked correctly.
    Very very interesting, the fact of being able to pass a boot time argument to boot/have your root on an sd* hard drive :)) I have no internal HDD in my laptop, and have to use an external firewire drive (this is where Linux is cool - try doing this trick with Windows!).

    Sounds as though I shold try out Gentoo, but I've put a fair amount of effort in learning about the debian way of doing things (and this is after a try out of Mandrake 18 months ago or so)... And one huge advantage of Knoppix is these forums - support here is good.

    To get back to your question - I don't know the answer, but I can tell you how I and a few others use the Knoppix CD to boot (well technically move root) to the external 1394 hard drive. The technique was originally found by tinker, see this post for more info http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6463

    Code:
    knoppix single   #at boot prompt
    sudo su 
    lsmod   #check firewire/1394 modules are present
    /mnt/floppy/rescan-scsi-bus.sh   #run a script from floppy to find my hard drive, apparently this should not be needed for 2.6
    mkdir /mnt/new_root 
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/new_root  
    mkdir /mnt/new_root/mnt/old_root   #required the first time only, not needed for subsequent boots
    cd /mnt/new_root 
    pivot_root . /mnt/new_root/mnt/old_root
    mount /proc /proc -t proc 
    swapon -a 
    init 5
    There are a couple of problems with this approach - it's a pain to type all the commands each time, you need to set the hostname, I'm not sure if the ramdisk is destroyed afterwards nad the RAM given back to the system. But hey it works. But it seems the Gentoo way is better ;)

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    148
    I shoulld add that my BIOS does not give me the choice of booting from USB or Firewire, I can only boot from Floppy or CD-ROM.

  4. #4
    No, I'm actually just using the Gentoo kernel to boot since it accepts the root= parameter. It's still a Debian system - in fact I'm posting from it right now (albeit with the Links browser).

Similar Threads

  1. Problem logging into "Root"
    By maxcruiver in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2005, 06:54 PM
  2. Booting problem: "hde: drive not ready for command"
    By MrBigTime in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-14-2005, 11:35 AM
  3. Booting problem: "hde: drive not ready for command"
    By MrBigTime in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2005, 01:42 AM
  4. startx with "root" and not with "knoppix"
    By ix86i in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 12:16 PM
  5. "Foreign" drive formats and "dd" command
    By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



Set of 2 HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN HYNIX 32GB (1X32GB) 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MEMORY  picture

Set of 2 HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN HYNIX 32GB (1X32GB) 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MEMORY

$500.00



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



128GB (4x32GB) Samsung DDR4-2666 ECC RDIMM 2Rx4 PC4-2666V M393A4K40CB2-CTD7Y picture

128GB (4x32GB) Samsung DDR4-2666 ECC RDIMM 2Rx4 PC4-2666V M393A4K40CB2-CTD7Y

$798.00



SK Hynix HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN 32GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory RDIMM picture

SK Hynix HMAA4GR7CJR8N-XN 32GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory RDIMM

$329.99



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50