My mobo has an onboard RealTek 8169 chip (Gigabit network) - the correct driver is loaded - r8169.
Knoppix 3.4 (both 2004-05-10 and 2004-05-17) - installed to hard disk
"find" 2 ports - eth0 and eth1
From what I read in the forums, and from answers to my previous networking help posts, I managed to get Knoppix 3.4 (2004-05-10 - kernel 2.6) to connect to the net on eth1 (even though it doesn't physically exist).
I have now installed to hard disk Knoppix 3.4 (2004-05-17- kernel 2.6) and have, by setting my /etc/network settings to static addresses on eth1.
managed to ping an IP address as root, but cannot ping a URL or connect via browser, either as root or user.
It appears that there is a problem resolving URL's.
Also, I believe that there must be a conflict between pump and my network configuration.
How do I stop pump running on boot?
My setup is a router/modem -> Ethernet switch -> PC
The network IPs are relative to the Ethernet Switch port into which the PC is plugged. I would therefore rather not set the PC's IP statically, and should not have to. DHCP should work (it does with Fedora and Xandros and when booting from the Knoppix Live CD.
/etc/network/interfaces
auto lo eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.1.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.254
/etc/resolve.conf
nameserver 192.168.1.254
thanks
master_b

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter
$169.99
Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14" FHD Laptop i5 12th Gen 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11
$329.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2 14" 16GB, Thunder Black
$387.46