Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Orinoco PCMCIA card help!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4

    Orinoco PCMCIA card help!

    I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop and a Orinoco Silver 802.11g PCMCIA card.

    1.I am running the KNOPPIX cd version I assume this is not KNOPPIX STD can anyone confirm this?

    2.Note I am new to Linux very new so I'll need everything explaining even how to bring up folders and shells and the folder locations sorry.

    3.I have run Wavelan configuration but it says "No wireless network card found"

    4.I assume Eth0 is my Orinoco card not the built in LAN can some one confirm this too?

    5.How do I get the wireless card to work?

    6.I read some where I need to patch the orinoco card how do i do this?
    7.Where/what is teh wireless shell?

    Sorry for the n00bness convert me from XP to Linux!

    TIA

    Atca

  2. #2
    Well buddy, I have a similar problem. Everyone talks about how great Orinoco is with Knoppix but the archives are full of people complaining. Personally, my Knoppix tells me that there are no wireless extensions, let alone wireless hardware. I am sure that there's a simple answer out there but no one has posted it. You might try a different type of linux or a different card that a friend can help you set up because no one here can tell you how to make Orinoco work. They will tell you that there's works great but no one can explain why. Personally I do not think that Orinoco works with Knoppix and although some people have claimed otherwise no one has said how to do it. There should be a wireless guide for n00bs. If I ever find out how to make it work I will post the answer. Sorry to bear bad news but if you check the archives for this topic you will see that I am right.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    orinoco 802.11b cards work great in linux, i use one now.
    the g cards take some patching of the kernel, that is a recompile from patched source.
    atleast that is what I know the situation to be.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    42
    This might be of some help:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9524

    It's a 3Com card but it is 802.11g

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by greenprimary
    Well buddy, I have a similar problem. Everyone talks about how great Orinoco is with Knoppix but the archives are full of people complaining. Personally, my Knoppix tells me that there are no wireless extensions, let alone wireless hardware. I am sure that there's a simple answer out there but no one has posted it. You might try a different type of linux or a different card that a friend can help you set up because no one here can tell you how to make Orinoco work. They will tell you that there's works great but no one can explain why. Personally I do not think that Orinoco works with Knoppix and although some people have claimed otherwise no one has said how to do it. There should be a wireless guide for n00bs. If I ever find out how to make it work I will post the answer. Sorry to bear bad news but if you check the archives for this topic you will see that I am right.
    I don't know about the new orinoco, but for the old one (mine is 802.11b), the gotcha is to have the WEP setup first(as I use the gateway which is WEP enabled). Knoppix at that time have the program execution order reversed. It did an ifconfig BEFORE iwconfig(which is used to setup the WEP key). Otherwise, it works great as the kernel module support orinoco nicely and one doesn't need to search for modules like some newer cards.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2004, 02:32 PM
  2. Configuring Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card
    By al_mckin in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-10-2004, 12:42 AM
  3. Problem when booting Knoppix (Orinoco Silver PCMCIA)
    By jsl81 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 01:04 PM
  4. WLAN PCMCIA - Orinoco chipset support
    By Arne Midtboe in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2003, 03:28 AM
  5. Orinoco Wireless PCMCIA / Dell 1150 PCMCIA Support?
    By Guest in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-26-2002, 03:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$749.99



Vintage Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) DECserver 200/MC Terminal Server picture

Vintage Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) DECserver 200/MC Terminal Server

$79.95



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00