Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Noob wants to Remaster Knoppix

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    35

    Noob wants to Remaster Knoppix

    I'm a newbie, I've played with linux for about a year useing Mandrake 9.2 and MandrakeMove. I tried Knoppix and like it more than the MandrakeMove. But I want to make alterations.

    So my goals are:
    Learn the ins and outs of Linux by Remastering Knoppix with such changes as, Replaceing Mozilla with Mozilla FireFox, if possable install Mnadrake's Disk partitian utility, I think it's call DiskDrak. Then to do something about the slowdown of remastered disks because they aren't optimized. [I did some research, I'm not a total noob]

    Any Tips and tricks, or basic information would be nice.
    Thankyou for your time.


    [EDIT]
    I'd also like it to auto scan for home, if able.

    [Another EDIT]
    What does knoppix use for compression? I notice it's been said to be totally differnt than the How To's

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    35
    Are the Remastering programs any good?

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    52
    Follow the directions in the HowTo(that's how I started KnoppMyth). Cloop is the compression used.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by cesman
    Follow the directions in the HowTo(that's how I started KnoppMyth). Cloop is the compression used.
    How would I compress with cloop so I can get the same compression, I've noticed that people aren't useing cloop to do it.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20
    How would I compress with cloop so I can get the same compression, I've noticed that people aren't useing cloop to do it.
    in fact the command is create_compressed_fs, it converts a filesystem to a cloop volume

    create_compressed_fs compresses a filesystem image to a compressed image suitable for mounting with the cloop driver

Similar Threads

  1. Help with K3B, noob to knoppix and linux please help
    By justinscouting in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 09:45 AM
  2. KNOPPIX ROCKS......but I'm a noob
    By hoy_128 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 02:34 AM
  3. noob trying to load knoppix 3_3
    By popgeorge in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-20-2004, 02:47 PM
  4. Noob needs help using Knoppix
    By Spencer in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-19-2003, 02:56 AM
  5. knoppix won't boot for noob!
    By archdlx in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-26-2003, 02:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC  picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC

$750.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM

$289.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS picture

POGO ATLAS 1102 Server 32 Gb RAM 4TB Storage 2x2TB HDD’s (Tested-Working) No OS

$179.85



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$199.99



Supermicro Super Server 1029U-TN10RT Dual Xeon Silver 4210 - 10-Bay NVMe Rack picture

Supermicro Super Server 1029U-TN10RT Dual Xeon Silver 4210 - 10-Bay NVMe Rack

$500.00



ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T/BCM Server Motherboard For Parts/Repair picture

ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T/BCM Server Motherboard For Parts/Repair

$365.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99