-
Senior Member
registered user
Installing GNOME
Could someone help me with this? I downloaded what I assume is a GNOME desktop package. It has been unzipped into its own folder. Here is what the contents looks like:
root@Home:/home/knoppix/tmp# cd gnome-desktop-2.6.0.1
root@Home:/home/knoppix/tmp/gnome-desktop-2.6.0.1# ls
AUTHORS Makefile.in config.sub gnome-version.xml man
COPYING NEWS configure gnome-version.xml.in.in missing
COPYING-DOCS README configure.in install-sh mkinstalldirs
COPYING.LIB acconfig.h desktop-docs intltool-extract.in pixmaps
ChangeLog acinclude.m4 desktop-links intltool-merge.in po
HACKING aclocal.m4 gnome-about intltool-update.in stamp-h.in
INSTALL config.guess gnome-desktop.spec libgnome-desktop xmldocs.make
Makefile.am config.h.in gnome-desktop.spec.in ltmain.sh
root@Home:/home/knoppix/tmp/gnome-desktop-2.6.0.1#
I have no clue how to install this. The "instructions" are so archaic and hard to figure out. I read alot in the apt-get tutorial but thats confusing too. It seems that installing programs is one of the hardest things about linux for me. I have been typing in some commands at console to install this program but I get only errors. If I do a regular apt-get upgrade, update & install for gnome, i get nothing but the same error. something about a broken package and it will not install, so I downloaded this file from the GNOME website. The README and INSTALL files tell me pretty much nothing at all! Please help! I would like to try out GNOME to see if i like it. bob
Similar Threads
-
By The Fader in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-21-2004, 08:29 PM
-
By gursharnsingh in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-16-2004, 11:51 AM
-
By beforewisdom in forum Ideas
Replies: 9
Last Post: 12-23-2003, 02:10 PM
-
By rmdnet in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 11:08 AM
-
By bopper in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-29-2003, 01:06 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

(2) Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S 10G SR SFP+ Transceiver Modules 10-3105-01 - Genuine
$32.88

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

NEW Sealed, 100% Genuine CISCO GLC-T 1000BASE-T SFP RJ-45 30-1410-04 Module v04
$38.00