-
Senior Member
registered user
K-menu reconfigure
After re-installing kde and kcore I'm finding dublicates of some programs and non existent programs on the k-menu. It also seems not to pick up programs that are installed or have been downloaded.
Other than manually editing using the menu editor, is there some way to get this confugured better.
The menu updating tool isn't finding things either. For example Linneighborhood, which was on the menu before, isn't. But it is on the system
TIA
-
Try using the "update-menus" command, and I seriously hope you have better luck with it than I'm having as you can see a couple of posts down.
Some of the programs you're missing could though have been thrown into the Deban folder at the top of the folderlist in K-menu.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Gave it a try:
Code:
root@toybox:~# update-menus
Unknown error, message=replacewith($string, $replace, $with): $replace and $with must have the same length.
install-menu: /etc/menu-methods/freedesktop-desktop-entry-spec-dirs: aborting
update-menus[3106]: Script /etc/menu-methods/freedesktop-desktop-entry-spec-dirs returned error status 1.
Unknown error, message=replacewith($string, $replace, $with): $replace and $with must have the same length.
install-menu: /etc/menu-methods/freedesktop-desktop-entry-spec-apps: aborting
update-menus[3106]: Script /etc/menu-methods/freedesktop-desktop-entry-spec-apps returned error status 1.
root@toybox:~#
This all happened after trying to install gnome, which I have - but had to do alot of updating, upgrading and changing desktop managers to get kde back where I could use it.
-
I'm not at home at the moment so I can't recall the exact files, but if you open up those two for editing you'll find ca. 2/3 down something like [replacewith: "/ ", "-"]. I deleted the space after the slash to make it: "/" and the errors went away. If someone has a better solution please let me also know.
-
I coloured and bolded the part where I deleted the extra space, the -apps file is very similar to this one:
markus@fujibox:~$ cat /etc/menu-methods/freedesktop-desktop-entry-spec-dirs
#!/usr/sbin/install-menu
# freedesktop desktop entry spec - directory generation
# http://www.freedesktop.org/Standards/desktop-entry-spec
# Copyright 2004 - Chris Cheney
# Licensed under the GNU General Public License, version 2.
!include menu.h
compat="menu-2"
function DirEntry() =
"[Desktop Entry]\n"
"Type=Directory\n"
"Encoding=UTF-8\n"
"Name=" title() "\n"
"GenericName=" title() "\n"
"Comment=" ifnempty($longtitle,$longtitle) "\n"
"Icon=" "debian" replacewith(tolower($section),"/","-") "\n";
outputencoding="UTF-8";
supported;
x11 = ;
text = ;
endsupported;
startmenu = "";
endmenu = "";
submenutitle = DirEntry();
treewalk = "M";
genmenu = ifempty($command,tolower("debian" replacewith($section,"/","-") ".directory"));
rootsection = "";
prerun = "rm -rf " prefix() "/*";
preoutput = "";
rootprefix = "/var/lib/kde/debian-dirs";
userprefix = ".local/share/desktop-directories/kde/debian";
-
My bad, the package has been patched/upgraded and the line now reads:
genmenu = ifempty($command,tolower("debian" replacewith($section,"/ ","--") ".directory"));
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 13
Last Post: 05-26-2006, 03:35 PM
-
By Giachi in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-03-2004, 11:27 PM
-
By ckassab in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 02:15 AM
-
By doo-doo in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-22-2003, 04:34 AM
-
By Joakim in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-19-2003, 05:29 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Apple iMac G3 “Sorry, no beige.” Wristwatch – Two Original Bands
$249.95

Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video
$225.00

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS
$7.00

Assorted Vintage Lot of Apple Macintosh items
$100.00

Retro Rare Vintage TransWarp GS Accelerator Card Apple IIGS Applied Engineering
$499.00

Apple Macintosh 512K M0001W Vintage Mac Untested Turns On For Parts
$299.99

Vintage Apple Extended Keyboard II M3501 + ADB Mouse G5431 Macintosh
$119.99

Vintage Apple Newton MessagePad 130 PDA - Working, Clean + Batteries & Extras
$149.99

Vintage Apple II 5.25 Floppy Disk Lot Broderbund Print Shop Egghead Rainbow Case
$39.99

Vintage NOS Apple iBook Two Sided Cloth Banner Think Different
$99.99