Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Knoppix 3.3 CD Soundcard Issue: No Sound

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix 3.3 CD Soundcard Issue: No Sound

    Hi, I have recently downloaded Knoppix 3.3 CD version and it detects my soundcard and all, but, I still have no sound.

    I have tried modpluge (forgot what the actual command was, but I know it does something to the drivers) and knoppix alsa, but those havent seemed to work.

    The only other connection I have to this problem is this error I recieve at boot:

    insmod:a module named audio already exists.
    My soundcard is a Soundblaster PCI 512 and the driver it uses is EMU10k1.

    Hope you can help!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    just somewhere I can rest my weary bones
    Posts
    4
    I have exactly this problem with my audigy card when using Knoppix live, I am told that the module is not currently in the module search path. Can anyone help?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    27
    I have the same problem with my Audigy2 platinum. I think the problem is IRQ related, and is probably a bug in the linux kernel.

    Not so long ago I hooked up two drives to a built in RAID on my motherboard. Since then, Linux has gone AWOL on my system. Fedora crashed on me, and Knoppix stopped playing sound like it used to.

    I just hope the latest kernel fixes these problems.......

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    10
    On my Audigy 2, everything looked all right, but I had no sound. I solved the problem after downloading and installing ALSA. I used the alsamixer to bring up the volume from 0, which was the default. The KDE mixer wasn't working for me.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    13
    I had a similar problem but fixed it with this command at boot -
    knoppix alsa

    Now my audiology card is working just fine.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I think the problem is IRQ related, and is probably a bug in the linux kernel.
    It could be IRQ related (soundcards are notorious for trying to grab the wrong IRQ) but I doubt it's a fault in the kernel.

    Folks, if you have the option, try selecting "non plug and play OS" in the bios (setting the bios to defaults usually has the same effect) and try again.

Similar Threads

  1. soundcard not running kernal? needs modular sound?
    By tymlls05 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2005, 11:16 PM
  2. soundcard - Creative Live 5.1 no sound
    By pauly999 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2004, 02:22 AM
  3. Knoppix 3.4 10/05 Soundcard Drivers
    By Zeb in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 10:25 AM
  4. No sound from Aztech PCI338 Soundcard
    By XPconvert in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-29-2004, 12:56 PM
  5. onboard sound issue
    By wikked in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 02:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$749.99



VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL picture

VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL

$169.00



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00