post your whole fstab here, and whole output from fdisk -l (as root). soething is weird, it should work. i have done it several times, actually once as long ago as today.
Hi, Fingers99!
Thank you for your suggestions -- unfortunately they did not change the results!! It seems that /dev/hdc4 will just not get mounted even though the entry is there in fstab. When I mount it at /home as root and then login as the user everything is OK. I don't know why this is happening.
Hi, Stephen!
Thank you also for your suggestions. I will try them next and report back.
I am hoping to get this to work as it is on the computer that my wife will be using and she has no desire to learn such Linux things as mounting as root, or performing other Linux admin-type tasks. She is a relative computer noobie who just wants to use the word processor, surf and do Email activities. Until now she has only been using Windows and I want to set this up for her to be as easy to use (but much more secure when on the net).
Hoping that you all have a nice Easter Holiday.![]()
post your whole fstab here, and whole output from fdisk -l (as root). soething is weird, it should work. i have done it several times, actually once as long ago as today.
>soething is weird,
Yeah, it really seems to be a little left field.
I think you are refering to my earlier post when you say you followed a "HOWTO".
I was merely describing how I solved a particular problem. I am not an expert on linux, though I do have a number of years experience.
Hi, Rink!
I don't believe that I know about your post. The HOWTO that I followed is listed in the Knoppix.net Docs tab under the title "HomePartitionHowTo -- How to move your /home to a new partition". I will be trying some of the other suggestions that people have made in this thread and will post my fstab and output from fdisk -l (as root) as soon as I can get back on the machine (my wife is busy using it for some important work and I will have to wait until it is free).
Regards,
-- Dr. U

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99
$280.00
Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter
$225.00
1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$175.00
Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD
$239.00
Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99
SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays
$499.99
Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00
Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers*
$159.99
Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00