-
Junior Member
registered user
KPPP "almost" works
Symtom: My Cendyne serial modem, installed some weeks after I did an installation to hdd using Knoppix (2003-11-14-Beta) "almost" works. It goes tearing out, negociates successfully with my ISP, races to the URL I have selected (in either Konqueror or Mozilla- makes no difference), and pries it open. With Google the target URL, the modem has (once) successfully downloaded a 1.5 meg file. But if I ask the modem to go hither-and-yon (giving the browser a new URL, for example), pretty soon, suddenly the speed drops from pleasingly fast to pita slow, as in roughly a hundred to four hundred bytes at a time, coming...drip....drip...drip. It barely registers on the Kppp graph.
Was ist los ?
My hardware is competent (serves Win2k reliably). The modem which comes from a US warehouse-ful of bankruptcy stock, works fine for my Win2k.
The installation-to-hdd went without incident I said "yes, please" when asked if I'd like network and Samba. Haven't developped them yet.
I don't have any reason to suspect that I have bent the installation. Moreover, I've tried the modem running the cd-os. Same failure.
Diagnosis, please ?
And can someone please suggest where I can read up on the diagnostics available in my installation ? I don't seem able to find 'gkrellm' on the disk. And I'm starting to study 'top'.
TIA,
Chada
-
Junior Member
registered user
PROBLEM SOLVED !
A bright fellow in the Edmonton Linux Users' Group suggested "Flaky UART" as the problem. So I moved the modem to my second machine, ran a new copy of Knoppix 3.3 (Feb), configured the modem, and it "just works"!
Funnily, the UART serves Win2k fine. Still. I'll swap it for curiosity's sake. It's on a Shuttle (!) AV61 board.
I think this newbie has learned a lesson worth sharing: "when at first you don't succeed, try, try again..... NOT !
I'm convinced that troubleshooting a problem is best done looking in the easy places for solutions first, and trying easy fixes first, before looking for obscure solutions and hammering, hammering away.
In an hour, I could have switched to my second (or someone else's) machine.....and saved myself a month of frustration.
chada
Similar Threads
-
By wsg in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 23
Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:06 PM
-
By edochan in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-20-2004, 02:20 AM
-
By oreo in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
-
By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
-
By Juny in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800
$189.95

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board
$675.00

MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer
$2550.00

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI
$150.00

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Cray-1 UNIVAC 1103 Apple 1 CDC 6600 IBM SAGE
$65.00

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)
$40.00

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00