Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Problems sharing cable modem connection on knoppix box

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Philly PA
    Posts
    11

    Problems sharing cable modem connection on knoppix box

    Hi, I'm very new to knoppix (just installed version 3.3 today) and I really do love the way it runs on my box. I'm just having a real problem getting it to share the internet connection. I have a Thompson broadband cable modem connected via USB and Eth0 on my knoppix box. I've run a cat5 from eth1 to my ethernet hub which distributes the connection to 3 other machines running win xp. The knoppix box is online and lightening fast compared to the way it used to run, but none of the other boxes seem to be able to connect.. I'm sure I'm just missing some crucial step in the configuration, but like I said.. I'm brand new to knoppix. Is there any other software I need to do this?

    Thanks for your help,

    Michael Harazin

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Philly PA
    Posts
    11

    Forgot to mention..

    I'm thinking about running Knoppix on at least 2 of the other 3 boxes since I'm totaly fed up with microcrap, if I do that, is it easier to share the connection?

    Thanks

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Problems sharing cable modem connection on knoppix box

    Quote Originally Posted by mharazin78
    Hi, I'm very new to knoppix (just installed version 3.3 today) and I really do love the way it runs on my box. I'm just having a real problem getting it to share the internet connection. I have a Thompson broadband cable modem connected via USB and Eth0 on my knoppix box. I've run a cat5 from eth1 to my ethernet hub which distributes the connection to 3 other machines running win xp. The knoppix box is online and lightening fast compared to the way it used to run, but none of the other boxes seem to be able to connect.. I'm sure I'm just missing some crucial step in the configuration, but like I said.. I'm brand new to knoppix. Is there any other software I need to do this?

    Thanks for your help,

    Michael Harazin
    You need to install either firestarter, bastille-linux or a script like Arno's Iptables to enable the connection sharing/firewall the first two you can install with apt-get, Arno's requires you to set it up yourself.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Philly PA
    Posts
    11

    Thanks for the advice

    Thanks, I'll try the first two since I've been having a hell of a time installing other apps.

    Michael Harazin

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Philly PA
    Posts
    11

    Firestarter worked great

    Thanks for the tip, it worked out great as far as setting up a firewall and within 5 minutes my network was back up and running. All I can say is I'll never run windows again!

    Michael Harazin

Similar Threads

  1. cable modem connection drops
    By wayne in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 03:20 AM
  2. Problems with cable connection to internet
    By emilia in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2004, 02:10 AM
  3. Sharing Internet Connection with Knoppix
    By iisatrini in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 09:07 PM
  4. Apt-get stalls on cable cable connection
    By vesselinpeev in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-29-2003, 05:32 AM
  5. Cable Modem Connection Problem
    By wishbone in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-12-2003, 08:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



Supermicro Server CSE-512L-200B 1U Chassis with X9SCL-F Core i3-2100 8GB 220W picture

Supermicro Server CSE-512L-200B 1U Chassis with X9SCL-F Core i3-2100 8GB 220W

$200.00



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$239.00



SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays picture

SuperMicro 4U CSE 847 36 Bay LFF Barebone 2x 1280W w/ 2x Bays 2.5 Rear w/Trays

$499.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00