-
apt-get bring-home?
My home computer has a Knoppix hard-drive install and only dialup access to the Internet. I have a quick Internet connection at work, though.
I would love to be able to boot my work computer with my Knoppix CD and apt-get some big packages to install at home.
Is there an apt-get-burn-it-to-cd-and-bring-it-home-to-install-it strategy that anyone can describe?
Thanks for all help!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Easy. Mount a hard drive, use apt-get w/ the -d flag and burn the .debs to cd.
-
Got it -- thanks!
I confess that I am pretty much a rote user of apt-get so far, so I'll ask what I recognize is a pretty basic question: After I bring the .debs home, what's the command syntax for installing them?
-
Senior Member
registered user
dpkg -i packagename.deb from the directory the .debs are located in.
HTH,
Durand
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hello,
nice getting to know there's an easy way to get .debs by apt-get that way (I was wondering just about that two days ago).
Please let me understand one thing, however: think of a scenario with two Knoppix-based HD installations, one at home and one at work. They're not necessarily aligned (in that the latter might have been already upgraded several times).
If I launch apt-get -d upgrade on the work PC, it will download only .debs which can upgrade that installation, which might therefore be something different from what I need at home, right? So, what would be very useful is a way of "exporting" an apt desiderata package lists from a PC, put it onto a different one, get (apt-get -d upgrade...) all .debs and save them on a CD; after that, put the CD on the home PC and apt-cdrom...
Is there an easy way to get this?
TnX in advance.
Similar Threads
-
By DieselDriver in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-27-2004, 03:20 AM
-
By gjhicks in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-04-2004, 09:43 PM
-
By Jesse in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 04-30-2004, 05:57 PM
-
By eriixblaike in forum Ideas
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-29-2004, 07:09 PM
-
By ktheking in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot
$79.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00

SANDISK ULTRA 3D NAND 1TB SSD SATA III 6 GB/S 2.5" /7 (SDSSDH3-1T02)
$138.56