You want the hdparm.conf that is the official Debian way of doing it the bootmisc.sh is a hack to do it in Knoppix.Originally Posted by CptKrf
This is not exactly the old "My DMA is turned off - how do I turn it on" question, but one about who is in charge.
The /etc/hdparm.conf is an obvious place to control DMA and corresponds to other distros. But there is also a /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh that also has a DMA switch at the bottom for each drive.
Questions. Why two sets of switches? Who overrides who? Which one should be used and which one commented out? Googling so far has not explained the reason for having both.
Thanks
CptKrf
You want the hdparm.conf that is the official Debian way of doing it the bootmisc.sh is a hack to do it in Knoppix.Originally Posted by CptKrf
Didn't work for me, I edited the hdparm.conf to read
/dev/hda {
mult_sect_io = 16
write_cache = off
dma = on
io32_support = 3
}
rebooted and checked the dma status and it is still off, I know how to use hdparm to turn it on after knoppix is loaded but would like it to boot this way.
I also don't see anything in bootmisc.sh to turn dma on?
Looks like the startup links may not be set. You can use update-rc.d hdparm defaults as root to have the links recreated or apt-get --reinstall install hdparm to reinstall and have the links recreated.Originally Posted by DaDuke
I had the same problem during start (kernel 2.6.5, knoppix 3.4).
I found some hint on some suse-pages, where they claimed you have to rebuild your kernel.
So I made:
Code:make menuconfig device-driver-> ATA/ ATAPI/ MFM/ RLE Enhanced IDE .... PCI IDE Chipset supp. Generic PCI busmaster DMA ... Use PCI DMA by default make make modules_install etc. pp.
Argh,Originally Posted by Stephen
why didn't tell you us to do that that way, earlier ?
We did it just that way, because we (or the original writer of the installer) did not know how to do it "the right way".
cu
Fabian
PS: Please add to the new page: Bugs/Installer I'll have there to sections with Solved and unsolved bugs as the installer is not just used with knoppix 3.4.
I just joined knoppix.net and was looking for help myself (oracle9i - installation, pencam/gphoto and sysfs, acpi/apm on sony fx601, mounting memory-stick, ... )
Better late than not at all...![]()

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99
Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00
Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99
Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94
Lenovo 00YK615 Intel X710-DA2 10GbE 2-port SFP+ PCI-E FC Network Adapter NIC
$27.99
Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99
Arista SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR XVR-10001-20 850nm SFP+ Optical Transceiver
$30.00