Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Kcontrol not working after kde 3.2 upgrade

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555

    Kcontrol not working after kde 3.2 upgrade

    Howdy. In a fit of curiosity I finally upgraded my KDE version to whatever is available in the "unstable" pool. Mostly 3.2.1, of course, but konqueror is at 3.2.2; go figure... Anyway things mostly seem to work, except I've noticed kcontrol is broken. It starts, but has no usable options/dialogs. Has anyone seen and resolved this before?

    Oh yes - and menus are a mess - most apps are now under a new debian top-level menu. Yuck!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    I didn't notice exactly the problem you describe, but I did run into problems with application crashes and weird things. I thought it was becasue some of my packages were still 3.1.X and some were 3.2.X since apt doesn't upgrade everything. What I did was:
    Code:
    apt-get remove libarts1 kdelibs4
    to remove all of KDE, then
    Code:
    apt-get -t unstable install kde
    to re-install with all of my packages from unstable.

    I am running KDE 3.2 now and everything works fine (kcontrol shows no problems and reports KDE version 3.2.2).

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Hi m_yates; thanks for your suggestions, but it did not rectify the situation for me. Oh well, it did not hurt either, apparently! What I find puzzlings is that the "kde" meta-package is version 3.1.2, whereas some packages (amongst which konqueror and kcontrol) are tagged a3.2.2 - I hope the a does not stand for alpha. Would it be possible to retrieve kcontrol 3.2.1? I tried "apt-get install kcontrol=3.2.1" but no such package is to be found. Any suggestion, folks?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    The old version (3.2.1) of kcontrol is here:

    http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2...ain/k/kdebase/

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Thanks for the link. I tried kcontrol 3.2.1, but to no avail. I guess I'll just refresh in a few weeks.

    Cheers,

    --bald

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Alright, just in case anyone has the same problem, I found a solution on the mepis forum. in short: use the menu editor to delete the debian folder (there was also a phantom OOo entry for me), and all will be well.

    Sigh. I had patiently waited for those 3.2.1 packages to enter a debian pool thinking this would mean trouble-free upgrade, but nope. Sometimes I wonder about sid... Frankly, upgrading linux is not nearly as painless as I'd like. Anyone with FreeBSD experience care to compare?

    Now, it seems KDE 3.2 deserves all the praise it received. Konqueror as a browser has well matured, probably benefitting from the Apple patches. I can't believe some suggested to just ditch this fast little browser that could from the knoppix 3.4 release!

Similar Threads

  1. PS2 mouse not working after upgrade
    By markleong in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 03:58 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 10:48 AM
  3. Lost all modules from Kcontrol/Kinfo center for Root User
    By ichoeff in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2003, 04:58 AM
  4. Sound working / not working on Knoppix 3.2
    By Tortoise in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-04-2003, 03:34 AM
  5. problem using apt-get with upgrade/dist-upgrade
    By vesselinpeev in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2003, 09:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro SuperServer 1029U-TN10RT 1U Rack Dual Xeon 2.70GHz 256GB picture

Supermicro SuperServer 1029U-TN10RT 1U Rack Dual Xeon 2.70GHz 256GB

$500.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Tower Server Xeon E3-1220 v2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM

$289.99



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



Supermicro X10DRS-4U-NS021, 2x E5-2603 V3 Storage Controller No RAM picture

Supermicro X10DRS-4U-NS021, 2x E5-2603 V3 Storage Controller No RAM

$200.00



HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC  picture

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus 32GB RAM Xeon E-2224 3.40Ghz No HDD No AC

$750.00



1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU   X picture

1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X

$175.00



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server picture

Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server

$689.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00