Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Starting from Hard Disk

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    4

    Starting from Hard Disk

    Assuming I would install to hard disk, how do I then start Knoppix? Does it "run" as an application under my Win XP. or do I boot into it at startup, or is it a dual boot situation? What?

    How much room (approx.) does it take on the hard disk?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    163

    Knoppix HDD install

    To install Knoppix you simply need to boot the CD. After Knoppix and KDE has started simply type "knx-hdinstall" in a console. You can get a console by clicking the shell/screen icon in KDE or press Ctrl-Alt-F2. Type "su" to change to root user if applicable.

    ::WARNING::
    You should install LILO to enable dual boot. I havn't tried this so I don't really know!

    Knoppix takes approximately 2 GB of space including swap space and "apt-get update" + "apt-get dist-upgrade". I'm really missing a selective package approach to installing Knoppix

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the comeback.

    I found the info at http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdBasedHowTo

    and I have done the "poor man's install" to see how I like it.

    My original question may now be ignored.

Similar Threads

  1. Cloning a hard disk
    By ferrel in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2005, 01:39 PM
  2. Adding another hard disk.
    By captain in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 06:19 PM
  3. MySQL and Hard Disk..
    By Darkworld in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2003, 01:24 AM
  4. This is how I run Knoppix v3.1 from my hard disk
    By Sucker in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2003, 03:54 PM
  5. starting ppp in knoppix hard drive install
    By bit in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-16-2003, 06:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$166.24



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS picture

Mainframe Computer Data Punch Card Lot of 50 Orange 80 Column IBM comp Vtg NOS

$15.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage MSI K7T Turbo w/ AMD Athlon A1000AMT3C 256MB DDR Ram -Bloated Caps Parts picture

Vintage MSI K7T Turbo w/ AMD Athlon A1000AMT3C 256MB DDR Ram -Bloated Caps Parts

$69.99



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95