-
How do I add fat32 partition after Linux install?
I installed linux on WinXP machine, leaving unassigned space between NTFS partitions and Ext2 partitions.
Now, if I try to create a Fat32 partition in order to manipulate data between OS's I can no longer access linux (cant find kernel). So I have deleted the Fat32 for now.
lilo is in MBR, accidentally.
Is there a way to add the Fat32 without messing up access to linux?
Thanks for any help.
-
Senior Member
registered user
it might be that you have to rise the number on your / partition in lilo.conf. by one, and rerun lilo.
why i think this? lilo is looking for a partition that is now say no3 and it becoes no4 when you add the new partition. my 2 atoms worth of advise on the matter.
-
i know a super easy fix. install XOSL andin the boot options, hide the newly created partition from linux. You wont be able to access the partition from within minux,. but hey,. atleast you will get to use the space in windows.
-
Senior Member
registered user
eeeh? wouldn't that kind of make that partition useless for him?
-
not really,. he will still get to use it in windows. my suggestion is the easiest fix, short of hacking the hell out of his linux install or reinstalling linux.
-
Thanks for the replies.
If I raise the number in lilo wouldn't I need also to change /etc/fstab to the new number?
Would there be any other change required?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
bilzer
If I raise the number in lilo wouldn't I need also to change /etc/fstab to the new number?
Yes. I think OErjan is spot on. I suggest that once you've booted from the knoppix cd, you run "sudo cfdisk" (from a command prompt). This will show you your new partition numbers after having inserted a new fat32 one. You can then mount your original HD root (/mnt/hdaN), carefully review and adapt its /etc/lilo.conf and /etc/fstab files, and finally rerun "lilo -v".
-
Senior Member
registered user
kidclueless: his reason for creating the partition was so he could swap files between windirt and Linux.
if the partition was hidden from linux that would be impossible, or am i wrong?
btw hiding partitins is something that GRUB can do that, atleas it is in the manual.
-
Thanks again for replies.
I did the sudo etc., got the new numbers.
Tried to log back in with the knoppix disk using several combinations to make the changes but cannot find the root.
Could you please give me the exact wording for your suggestion listed below?
mount your original HD root (/mnt/hdaN),
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
bilzer
Could you please give me the exact wording for your suggestion listed below?
mount your original HD root (/mnt/hdaN),
I think it's easier to just boot to text mode: type "knoppix 2" at the CD boot prompt (you can add the other parameters your system might need, in particular "lang=xy" if you are using a non-english keyboard).
Once at the command prompt, you're working as root. Launch "cfdisk /dev/hda" and take note of all partitions, in particular the one(s) marked as linux type - if you have several, identify the one that used to be your root file system. This will give you the "N" I referred to above.
Now type "mount /mnt/hdaN", then "chroot /mnt/hdaN", then "cd etc". (for the appropriate numerical value of N)
Adapt fstab and lilo.conf to reflect the new root partition number. Use "mcedit" if you are not familiar with "vi".
Finally, type "lilo -v" and pay attention to possible error messages.
If there are none, you should now be able to reboot into your knoppix install.
Similar Threads
-
By alex2004 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-17-2005, 11:20 PM
-
By country.hacker in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-05-2004, 04:23 PM
-
By Rivendell in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-05-2004, 08:55 AM
-
By Spirit Of Atlantis in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-22-2004, 04:03 AM
-
By margaritaville in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 01-29-2004, 04:09 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro CSE-732 Mid-Tower Server Chassis w/ Supermicro X10DRi 2x Xeon E5-2620
$325.00

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE
$445.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM
$174.99

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD
$635.00

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00