Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Anyone got RealVNC 4.0 (beta) working?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    148

    Anyone got RealVNC 4.0 (beta) working?

    I'm desparately trying to install RealVNC 4.0 b4. I've downloaded the binaries from realvnc, have run the vncinstall script. At first I was getting an error trying to run vncconfig (new to RealVNC 4.0),
    Code:
    vncconfig: error while loading shared libraries: libXaw.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    and I think (going by the VNC log files) that I was starting the old version of VNC... So I uninstalled (via apt-get) the old version. Now I cannot even start RealVNC:
    Code:
    christopher@roro:~$ vncserver
    
    New 'roro:1 (christopher)' desktop is roro:1
    
    Starting applications specified in /home/christopher/.vnc/xstartup
    Log file is /home/christopher/.vnc/roro:1.log
    
    christopher@roro:~$ cat /home/christopher/.vnc/roro:1.log
    Xvnc: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    xsetroot:  unable to open display 'roro:1'
    vncconfig: error while loading shared libraries: libXaw.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    twm:  unable to open display "roro:1"
    xterm Xt error: Can't open display: roro:1
    I've tried creating a symlink for libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2, have tried to find an updated package, have googled a a lot but still no joy. So,
    1. has anyone got RealVNC 4.0 running on a Knoppix install?
    2. any idea on how I can solve my missing 'shared object file'(s) problem?

    Cheers

    p.s. I want to use RealVNC 4 and not the VNC that comes with Knoppix so that I can share my display :0.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    148
    1. I've got RealVNC 4.0b4 working, but I haven't managed to share the desktop (:0).

    Code:
    christopher@roro:~$ vncviewer localhost:0
    
    VNC viewer for X version 4.0b4 - built Sep  4 2003 13:31:22
    Copyright (C) 2002-2003 RealVNC Ltd.
    See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
    
    Sat Mar 27 17:29:39 2004
     CConn:       connected to host localhost port 5900
     CConnection: Server supports RFB protocol version 3.7
     CConnection: Using RFB protocol version 3.7
    
    Sat Mar 27 17:29:51 2004
     CConnection: Authentication failure
     main:        Authentication failure
    christopher@roro:~$ vncviewer localhost:0
    
    VNC viewer for X version 4.0b4 - built Sep  4 2003 13:31:22
    Copyright (C) 2002-2003 RealVNC Ltd.
    See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
    
    Sat Mar 27 17:33:46 2004
     CConn:       connected to host localhost port 5900
     CConnection: Server supports RFB protocol version 3.3
     CConnection: Using RFB protocol version 3.3
     main:        Too many security failures
    christopher@roro:~$ vncviewer localhost:0
    As for 2., I find I had a more recent version of the library and learnt :) how to create a symlink
    Code:
    christopher@roro:/usr/lib$ ls | grep "libstdc"
    libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so
    libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
    libstdc++.so.5
    libstdc++.so.5.0.5
    christopher@roro:/usr/lib$ ln -s libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2
    ln: creating symbolic link `libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2' to `libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3': Permission denied
    christopher@roro:/usr/lib$ su
    Password:
    root@roro:/usr/lib# ln -s libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2
    root@roro:/usr/lib# exit

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by c123
    1. I've got RealVNC 4.0b4 working, but I haven't managed to share the desktop (:0).
    I use both VNCserver and VNCviewer on my knoppix install and have had no problems sharing desktop:0

    IF you are having problems from the commandline, try the gui

    Go to the Control Centre and click on "Internet and Network"
    Click on "Desktop Sharing"
    Tick, "Allow uninvited connections"
    Tick, "Allow uninvited connections to control the desktop"
    Set a password
    Apply

    Thats it.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5
    If it is so desperate I would just use an older version and not worry about it.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1
    Hi, I have the same problem, my OS is Fedora.I had vnc-server-4.0-0.beta4.3.2 installed.
    When I run vncviewer:
    vncviewer: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    I search for libstdc++
    [root@localhost lib]# ls -la libstdc++*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Apr 10 16:57 libstdc++.so.5 -> libstdc++.so.5.0.5
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 739636 Oct 24 02:26 libstdc++.so.5.0.5

    Could anyone help me, how do I create a link here??
    Thanx for your help!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    148
    I got the answer on the RealVNC mailing list about ten days ago, but didn't have time to post back here... I had to add an an 'option' line to the 'options ' section of XF86Config-4 file, e.g.
    Code:
     Option "passwordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
    @new2unix
    You are using KDesktop Sharing, which is based on VNC but is not VNC. As I said, that did not work on my system (I upgraded to KDE 3.2.1 and something broke, which means desktop sharing no longer worked; it's reportedly fixed in 3.2.2).

    @ExtremeHobo
    Because as I explained very few flavours of VNC can share display :0 (the current desktop). K Dsktop Sharing can (but it's broken in 3.2.1), RealVNC 4.0 can, all other versions of VNC cannot. (AFAIK)

    @redsun
    looks like you're lacking the library; I imagine you need to grab an RPM from somewhere (shame you can't use apt-get ;). Googling 'rpm libstdc++-libc6.1-1' looked promising.

    BTW RealVNC 4.0b4 is great, I can graphically access my Knoppix box any time after boot now :), I can even get the KDM login screen!

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    34

    works

    the vnc server works on the main hd install

    you can remotly launch it by ssh

    /usr/bin/vncserver

    then launch the viewer on the local comp - (my is on win2K)

    but i couldn't get the viewer work on knoppix to access my win comp

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    148

    Re: works

    Quote Originally Posted by roger_girardin
    the vnc server works on the main hd install
    currently using a HD install.

    Quote Originally Posted by roger_girardin
    you can remotly launch it by ssh

    /usr/bin/vncserver
    yep, but then you create a new desktop - the idea is to share the 'native' desktop, the one you see on the knoppix box itself

    Quote Originally Posted by roger_girardin
    then launch the viewer on the local comp - (my is on win2K)

    but i couldn't get the viewer work on knoppix to access my win comp
    no problems here - I can see my linux desktop from my XP notebook, I can also do the inverse (which is even easier).

    Anyway, as I wrote earlier, everything (well, VNC-wise) is now working properly :)

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2

    Re: works

    Quote Originally Posted by roger_girardin
    the vnc server works on the main hd install

    you can remotly launch it by ssh

    /usr/bin/vncserver

    then launch the viewer on the local comp - (my is on win2K)

    but i couldn't get the viewer work on knoppix to access my win comp
    Enter your ip address with a :1 in the VNC server location, it will let you connect to a seperate desktop but like what was said it won't be the native desktop, which is ok for some things. I use it to admin my game servers at lan parties to I don't need an extra monitor for the server.

    As for the native desktop i'm still working on that too.

Similar Threads

  1. remove openoffice 2.0 beta?
    By pid1982 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2005, 03:03 PM
  2. Bittorrent 3.9.0 beta problem
    By ZeroKun in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-22-2004, 09:04 PM
  3. now KDE 3.2 beta 2 is here...
    By Superstoned in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2003, 06:10 PM
  4. Knoppix 3.2 beta help
    By xile in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-29-2003, 01:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New picture

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New

$200.00



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$28.94



For Cisco SFP-10G-T-X Transceiver Multi-Rate 1G/2.5G/5G/10G SFP+ to RJ-45 Module picture

For Cisco SFP-10G-T-X Transceiver Multi-Rate 1G/2.5G/5G/10G SFP+ to RJ-45 Module

$66.31



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50