Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: Mounting USB HDD

  1. #11
    Hello,

    I am having the same problem with not being able to access the mounted USB thumb drive from my regular user account. I have tried changing the permissions, "chmod 777 /mnt/usbdrv", but still it doesn't work. It is interesting, when the USB drive is not mounted everybody has full access to the directory but as soon as I mount the USB drive the permissions of the directory changes. I don't understand it. I need help. Thanks in advance.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I'll try and answer 2 questions with one

    I said:

    You want a line in /etc/fstab (if it's a HD install, it's probably already there: just remove the # in front of it):

    /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,sync,umask=000 0 0
    Hmm, that confuses me. How does that work?
    /etc/fstab defines what drives/partitions are where and what filesystems they use.

    noauto = don't automount this
    users = let users have read/write access to the drive/partition
    exec = let people with appropriate permissions execute executables on this drive/partition
    sync = synchronise read/writes (you won't need this for anything other than a hard drive)

    the rest: see man fstab and man mount.

    You might like to add yourself to the disk & usb group (you can use kuser to do this)

    So, make the mount point, add a reference to it in /etc/fstab, add yourself to the disk & usb group, and as root do

    mount -a

    That's it. You can now right click on the desktop > create new > floppy device. (You can make a better pair of icons -- or I think a better pair -- by editing the usb symbol

    /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/apps/usb.png

    so that you also have a mounted version showing the green triangle at bottom right hand corner. Use the Gimp.)

  3. #13
    It worked after I added the line in fstab and added myself to usb group. Now I can see the USB Device from the regular user account. I thank you all for your help.

    Have a great day.

    zarehz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. problems with mounting a dvd iso
    By jehan60188 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-24-2005, 09:46 PM
  2. My CDRom is not mounting or something like that.
    By chris-harry in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-22-2004, 10:01 AM
  3. NFS mounting problems!!!!
    By kuser123 in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 11:49 PM
  4. mounting problems
    By NASAce in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-25-2003, 09:04 PM
  5. mounting harddrive
    By blahblahblah in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-13-2003, 07:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Mellanox 655874-B21  655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678 picture

Mellanox 655874-B21 655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678

$13.99



Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA picture

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA

$33.94



CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED picture

CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED

$39.99



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90