Haven't seen that before so I don't know if this will help but try:
dpkg-reconfigure console-common
I just installed Knopix to HD and set the language to GB (UK english) in KDE. I found that whanever I use a console either in KDE or remotely via SSH all the menu options in nano or messages in VI appear as question marks i.e. "??????". Any text I type appears normal.
I have tried dpkg-reconfigure locales and setting the default language to english UK but no change in symptoms, even after reboot.
What's going on?
Haven't seen that before so I don't know if this will help but try:
dpkg-reconfigure console-common
OK, tried that. Selected British keyboard.
Still no change. If you are familiar with pico/nano, this is what I get at the bottom of the screen...
and this is the welcome screen of vi...[ ????? ???? ]
^G ???????? ^O ???????? ^R ???. ???? ^Y ???.????. ^K ???????? ^C ???????
^X ????? ^J ???????????? ^W ????? ^V ????.????. ^U ????????? ^T ????????
The strange thing is that man pages render perfectly OK.Vim - ?????????? Vi
~
~ ??????: 6.2.149
~ ?????: Bram Moolenaar ?? ??.
~ Vim ?? ???????? ????????, ?? ?????? ?????? ??????????????? ??
~
~ ?????????? ??????? ? ??????!
~ :help iccf<Enter> ???????? ??????????
~
~ :q<Enter> ????? ? Vim
~ :help<Enter> ??? <F1> ???????? ????????
~ :help version6<Enter> ?????????? ??? Vim 6

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99
New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99
Supermicro 5019D-4C-FN8TP Xeon D-2123IT (4C/8T) 64GB DDR4 10GbE 480GB 1U Server
$689.00
1U Edge Firewall Server X11SCW-F Xeon E-2174G 0 RAM M.2 NVME 3x PCI-e 2x PSU X
$175.00
$280.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99