How do you try to launch it?
ls -al /usr/bin/firefox
are there 3 x's in the permission bits?
Hi all,
I did an apt-get update last night and everything went fine except for Firefox. I can't launch it as a user from KDE or any other environment. However, I can launch it as rott from any of the same environments. I googled and checked this forum for an answer but couldn't find one. Can anyone help?![]()
How do you try to launch it?
ls -al /usr/bin/firefox
are there 3 x's in the permission bits?
The permission bits read as -rwxr-xr-x
So, I think they are right. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Go to a terminal as a user and run firefox from there. What does it say in the terminal for an error?
It says:
And then goes back to the prompt. Hope this helps. Thanks.Code:selected locale: en-US
I have this same problem can someone please help!
firebird however works fine
This was in the readme from the firefox 0.9.1 download.
Note: If you install in the default directory (which is
usually /usr/local/mozilla), or any other directory where
only the root user normally has write-access, you must
start Mozilla first as root before other users can start
the program. Doing so generates a set of files required
for later use by other users.
I wish I could get firefox, but I haven't figured out apt yet, and on the list of everything in the apt I didn't see firefox listed. I'm too confused.Originally Posted by DuckDodgers
I did finally manage to un-install a couple things via apt.
Debian installs Firefox to an unwritable directory. You can't add extensions to FF w/out write permissions. You could get the installer from http://mozilla.org/ which is how I prefer to install FF.
This sets up firefox in ~ (/home/username). You can easily add extensions, themes etc. w/out worrying about root permissions. To run it do:Code:wget http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...staller.tar.gz tar xzvf firefox-0.9.1-i686-linux-gtk2+xft-installer.tar.gz cd firefox-installer/ ./firefox-installer
You can create a script to launch it for you:Code:~/firefox-installer/firefox-bin
Now just create a luancher on your desktop or taskbar to run your new script by executing:Code:touch firefox.sh echo "/home/username/firefox-installer/firefox-bin" > firefox.sh chmod +x firefox.sh sudo mv firefox.sh /usr/binCode:firefox.sh
klik://firefox (klik client must be installed) automates that for you.

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00
Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99
Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99
Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01
$127.06
Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99
Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable
$75.00
Analog Devices Macsym 2 Signal Simulator
$220.00
Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00
1950 High Speed Computers Analog ENIAC UNIVAC EDVAC IBM SSEC Relay Logic Tubes
$65.00
RARE VINTAGE Kontron 80 Psi Compact Microcomputer Computer Germany Early 1980s
$399.99