Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Accessing an ext3 partition

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2

    Accessing an ext3 partition

    Hi,

    I'm not sure what the problem is. I tried to install an update from RH 7.1 to RH 8, and it failed. I attempted it several times, again and again it reports at different positions that some package couldn't be installed, accessed or that there is a problem in formatting a partition (I always asked to format the root partition).
    I have a partition which was formatted with extf3 and reserved for /home. I can't access my data there anymore, because I can't install RH 8 - for whatever reason. Now I tried Knoppix, it boots well into the system, and is running. No problem. I can see the /home-partition, and see the folders in it, but they are locked. How do I go about it and unlock them? I want to save the data from there, redo the entire harddisk and see if that is the problem...
    Any help will be appreciated!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    You probably don't have proper permissions to get to your old /home. As root you should not have any trouble accessing the files once the partition is mounted.

    rock

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Rock is right. To become root just: 'sudo su'

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2
    Thanks, that did it!

Similar Threads

  1. Boot with CD -> can't write to existing ext3 HD-partition
    By leoneill in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 10:48 AM
  2. Knoppix 3.3 only creates one partition with the ext3 f
    By Uwe Brauer in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 12:32 PM
  3. Accessing my home dirctory on / partition
    By mr_dellarenta in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-11-2003, 02:24 PM
  4. how to use ext3 for boot partition?
    By viet in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-31-2003, 08:21 PM
  5. Accessing hda6 partition
    By warpedmind in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-19-2003, 01:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$729.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$109.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00