-
Junior Member
registered user
Automa(t/g)ic Saving/Loading of /etc and /home to solid disk
Since I've seen knoppix detecting my 256MB solid disk at the first try (I didn't even tried to test it, I just forgot to unplug it. What a lovelly surprise!) I started to think about what crazy things I can do with it, and this idea came to my mind:
How about taking /mnt/sda1/etc as /etc and /mnt/sda1/home as /home if the directory exist? It's just a simple test in a .sh and not to harmfull/difficult to implement. Hell, I'm going to try and burn my custom CD with this and other tricks added, and I don't feel it's so dificult! Why don't we can have this idea in the standar official CD, then?
-
I've already put my USB portable memory to use this way; however, I copy the data over what is already there, using rsync with backup options - which not only preserves the data, but allows "overwriting" of links to CDROM data.
Doing a copy also means that I don't have to have the "solid disk" tied up when the system is running; I can swap it out.
However, you can change the environment variable KDEHOME to point to whatever location you want. This variable normally points to ~/.kde, but you can copy that to your solid disk and keep on working with a persistent KDE home.
For that matter, you could do this on startup from knoppix.sh on a floppy:
if mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 ; then
rm -f /home/knoppix
ln -s /mnt/sda1 /home/knoppix
fi
You could do this with /etc as well, but that seems like overkill and not worth a lot... just copy the few files you want to change.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks for the tip, It's simpler than what I was trying.
By the way, it would be very nice to be implemented on the standar CD in a next release. Just a tip for the project leader... :P
-
Senior Member
registered user
You should check out the persistent home script. I believe it is to be included on the next release. This thread should fill you in on what it is.
You can downlaod it <a herf"http://www.centernetworx.de/knx_persistent_home_0.4.zip">here</a> , unzip and look at the readme too.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Actually you may want to check out this post from Mr. Knopper to see what's on the horizon.
Cheers.
Similar Threads
-
By kepler in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-05-2004, 10:29 AM
-
By lhoward in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-12-2004, 02:26 PM
-
By tyiooo in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-07-2003, 04:13 PM
-
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-19-2003, 08:33 AM
-
By zerveza in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-09-2003, 05:30 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD + 3TB HDD
$799.00

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G
$449.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$187.50

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99