Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Various...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6

    Various...

    hi all. I recently downloaded Knoppix 3.3 and I'm pleasantly impressed with the funcionality of the distro. I've one gripe and a question. I booted to my IBM Thinkpad R30. Everything is recognized, even my generic no name USB JumpDrive and 4-1 PCMCIA Mem Card reader. Sound is recognized, but sounds awful. Kind of raspy and low. I did had at one time Knoppix 3.1 on the same machine and the sound worked fine. Any ideas?

    Also, I wanted to test the DVD watching funcionality of the distro. I tried ejecting the drive from within the OS and nothing. ??

    As I said, I'm impressed with the speed, stability and compatibility of the distro. I'm so impressed that I may install it as my main OS! Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    you can't eject the disk because knoppix is running of of it. You would need to boot from another place. As with DVDs knoppix currently can't play commerical ones because it has no decrypter.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6

    OK

    I get it. There are commercial Linux distributions that play DVD's, right?.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    55
    Yeah, you can't eject the drive if Knoppix is running from it.

    And, yes, you can watch DVD's from Linux. If Knoppix had libdvdcss installed, you could watch DVD's from it (assuming you have a DVD drive that is separate from the drive from which Knoppix is running). I installed Kanotix (a Knoppix derivative) to my HD, installed libdvdcss and I can watch DVD's from my DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive. The audio skips alot, but that's another issue with my particular hardware, not with Linux.

    Later,

    BR

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by bamarob
    The audio skips alot, but that's another issue with my particular hardware, not with Linux. :D
    Make sure DMA is enabled for the DVD unit ("hdparm -d1 /de/hdX" with the appropriate X for your device)

    And the tiny libdvdcss package is indeed all it takes for linux to play commercial DVD's. See this thread.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: OK

    Quote Originally Posted by joelomar
    I get it. There are commercial Linux distributions that play DVD's, right?.
    well like said above thats not needed. You could just A download a decrypter or be decrypt the dvd before hand. useing something like dvddecrypter. (windows program. don't know if it works with wine)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


DEC PDP-11/34 Front Panel Complete PDP11 RARE picture

DEC PDP-11/34 Front Panel Complete PDP11 RARE

$450.00



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$157.93



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX picture

Computer Tape Reel 1600 BPI 9 Track Vintage Mainframe LOT OF 2 WITH BOX

$89.95



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



IBM System Z10 Type 2098 Mainframe (As-Is) picture

IBM System Z10 Type 2098 Mainframe (As-Is)

$6999.99