Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: File Saving when logged as normal user ...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    16

    File Saving when logged as normal user ...

    Hi there ,

    When I login as root knoppix allows me to save file after I enable the read write access from the properties

    But when I am logged as normal user it does not allow me to save files using konqueror no matter what I do. I have to use root shell all the time when I am logged on as normal user . I have write command mount -o rw /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 and then make directories through mkdir

    Is there a way that I can make directories manually in konqueror browser .

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    I think the problem is coming from two thoughts, one is your mount of the hard drive, which looks good, the second, is individual permissions on the drive itself...

    (1) to make a directory in Konq - right click, on the right pane, in an area that doesn't contain an icon already - from the pop-up menu - select Create New, and then Directory - you should get a pop-up window asking what the directory will be called.

    (2) permissions... Root can do almost ANYTHING, whereas, "normal" users have limited permissions. If I am correct, when Root creates a directory, or file for that matter, it creates it with R/W access for Root, Read for Group, and Read for Other - or a ls -la command in a shell will look like this: -rw-r--r-- -=- the first four possitions are "d" for directory, then three sets of three permissions - the first three are for OWNER, the next three are for GROUP, and the last three are for OTHER. With a ls -la output, you can see the permissions, and the owner, and the group. Root usually creates with Owner = Root - Group = Root -=- your "user" is probably not in the "group" of Root, and its Root user, so it falls into the permissions of "other" - which, in the above example, gives them READ access to whatever is being listed with those permissions.

    I have about the same problem, I have "global" documents that I "share" between many users, and this form of permissions is not really intended for that "global" idea. You might try what I end up doing...

    In a root shell: (try the following)

    chmod 777 [file/folder]
    chgrp [group] [file/folder]

    chmod will change the permissions of "file/folder" to the following - rwxrwxrwx -=- owner, group, and other have read, write, execute and delete permissions with the "777" in the command above.

    chgrp will change the "GROUP" the "file/folder" is associated to. If the group was root before, it will change the group to "group".

    I created a "global" user group that contains all of my user logins names, and then did a chgrp to that group, that way any user that is in the "global" group can do anything with the file/folder.

    If you want to include subdirs below the directory/folder in the above commands, like [file/folder] ... and anything in, and below, this - place a "-R" right after the commands above... like chgrp -R "group" "file/folder"

    If a user trys to write permissions to a file, that they don't have permissions to do in the first place, the command will error out - that is why, in most cases, Root can make these changes.

    Hope this helps,
    Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. FreeNX: Logging in as normal user
    By eco2geek in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 08:30 AM
  2. Trouble with xawtv configuration when logged in as user
    By turbines in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-27-2004, 01:56 AM
  3. How to run a pgm *after* "knoppix" user is logged
    By markgilmore in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-31-2003, 05:42 AM
  4. Keyboard issue when logged as user and not root
    By ledatica in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-18-2003, 01:06 PM
  5. Loading NTFS partition from normal user
    By morder in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2003, 08:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE picture

Supermicro E200-8D Barebones Server Chassis Xeon D-1528 X10SDV-6C-TLN4F 2x10GbE

$445.00



HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



32GB Micron MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2E2UI PC4-3200AA-RB2-12 DDR4 Server Memory | Tested picture

32GB Micron MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2E2UI PC4-3200AA-RB2-12 DDR4 Server Memory | Tested

$435.00



HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM picture

HP Proliant MicroServer HSTNS-5151 AMD Turion II Neo N40L CPU @ 1.50GHz 16Gb RAM

$174.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00