Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: 3.3 doesn't boot on Dell Inspiron 8500

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2

    3.3 doesn't boot on Dell Inspiron 8500

    I made a Knoppix 3.3 boot CD using Roxio (specifying 'Make boot disk' and pointing to the Knoppix .iso file). I changed the boot order to put the CD drive first. When I try to boot Knoppix, there are a few CD drive accesses, then the drive stops running. The screen remains black. Any suggestions? Is there a way to check the checksum under Windows? Thanks...

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA USA
    Posts
    81
    I know it will work on a Dell 8500, I've used it on my friend's laptop and it worked fine. Although we did have problems with a full screed display. There is a tool for checking the .md5 file in windows: http://www.toast442.org/gl/public_ht...20828141406760 Use that to check your sums. One other thing, you shouldn't burn it as a boot disk, you should just burn as an image. I don't use Roxio but I know it can do image files. Check under the Docs tab, I'm sure there's a how-to under there somewhere.

    'Goon

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2
    Thanks! It worked fine when I burned it as a disk image.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-24-2004, 05:41 PM
  2. Inspiron 8500 WIDE SCREEN working!
    By Joel in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 02:08 PM
  3. Knoppix+Inspiron 8500=not quite right...
    By RandomGoon in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 10:34 PM
  4. Inspiron 8500
    By rbrown3rd in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-12-2003, 03:55 PM
  5. CD BOOT on a Dell 8500 Laptop.
    By robmc5 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2003, 06:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on

$500.00