Quote Originally Posted by Messiaen
Meanwhile, it seems to me that Linux is still a very unreliable dream and I'm very close to do what I don't really want to: install the mainstream rubbish from Redmont, 'cause one has to admit that THIS system works!

Olivier
Sorry things aren't panning out for you but I cannot agree that Redmonds OS (and I use the term loosely) 'just works'. Perhaps for a casual end user it's ok but in a corporated environment I spend many hours and days patching, fixing and reinstalling windows. It is tiring. Here's a little something from my 400Mhz Linux box:

Code:
uptime
 09:14:19 up 42 days, 17:17,  7 users,  load average: 0.66, 0.39, 0.24
Not too shabby eh?

Answer this honestly. How long did it take before you became 'good' at using Windows? Was it a week? Two? Most likely it took years. Give LInux the same chance and you won't regret it. Also realize that KDE is NOT Linux it is a desktop that runs on *nix and nothing more.

Personally, I prefer xfce4. You can install it with Synaptic. Make sure you get all of the packages.

You can nuke KDE in its entirety like so:

apt-get remove libarts1 kdeartwork-misc kdeartwork-theme-icon kdebase-data mkmenusfromkde-knoppix kdeedu-data

It will prceed to remove ALOT of stuff. Fret not as none of it is system related. You can install gdm:

apt-get install gdm gdm-themes

Now GDM is a login manager just like KDM. It has recently changed the way it does business and may not offer you the choice of selecting XFCE4 for your session. It did NOT the last time I installed it but that was 3 or so weeks ago. Things change very quickly. If it doesn't give you an XFCE4 option from the Session menu then you need to make a file:

touch /etc/dm/Sessions/XFCE4

Put the following in /etc/dm/Sessions/XFCE4

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=XFCE4
Comment=Whatever
Exec=startxfce4
Type=Application

Restart GDM (or reboot if you prefer) and it *should* be there.

gluck