Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 3.6 is here!

Member registered user
    J.D.
    I've tried OO in V3.6 and it has English menus and the help documentation is in English too.
    However, as I wrote in another thread, there was something in my persistent home directory which was making OO start up an installation script that was in German. To fix it I had to tar up my V3.4 PH, boot V3.6 without a PH and then create a new PH, start up OO just to be sure it's OK and then untar the V3.4 archive into the new PH.
    I've now got a PH in V3.6 and OO is working - finally

Best Wishes
    Pete.

Senior Member registered user
    Thanks, Pete,

Actually, what I was referring to happens with or without a PH, and is documented in the 3.4 buglist. Even though the ovverwhelming majority of menus in Open Office are in English, look under the submenus of File->New, and File->AutoPilot, and I think you'll see that many of the submenus are written in German.

It's not a big deal at all, and the only reason I brought it up was to confirm that the version 3.4 bugs (even the silly ones like this) were not resolved in 3.6. It's not a big deal, and in hindsight, I should have indicated as such with an emoticon when I made the comment. In fact, far be it from me to criticize at all, when the people developing the package are unpaid, and, when it comes to computer skills, I'm not even worthy to wipe their shoes. The only reasons I mentioned the outstanding bugs at all were: (1) to answer the earlier question of whether the 3.6 enhancements over 3.4 justified to time and energy to download and setup, and (2) in an attempt to assist product development by helping to point out issues to be resolved.

As it turns out, I'm having to re-do my PH as well, primarily, I suspect, because I saved the tohd image to the PH partition. Consequently, in order to redo my PH, I had to first boot in live CD without the tohd cheatcode, then set up the PH, then reboot, then setup new configs.

jd

Re: Knoppix 3.6 is here!

Quote Originally Posted by aay
    V3.4-2004-08-16 ("aKademy Release")
    - first release after LinuxTag 2004
    - Kernel 2.6.7 (as an option) and 2.4.27

- KDE 3.2.3 (which is still more stable than 3.3 in Debian)
    What does it mean that 2.6.7 is an option. What extra steps are involved to use it?

You can choose between 2.6 and 2.4 at boot time.

Regards,
    AJG

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    Even though the ovverwhelming majority of menus in Open Office are in English, look under the submenus of File->New, and File->AutoPilot, and I think you'll see that many of the submenus are written in German.
    aha. Sorry about that JD. I didn't dig that deep! I was just glad to see it actually start up at all. All I've been able to get up to now is a German installation dialog.

It's not a big deal at all, and the only reason I brought it up was to confirm that the version 3.4 bugs (even the silly ones like this) were not resolved in 3.6.
    Yep. I've run into a few unresolved issues too.

As it turns out, I'm having to re-do my PH as well, primarily, I suspect, because I saved the tohd image to the PH partition. Consequently, in order to redo my PH, I had to first boot in live CD without the tohd cheatcode, then set up the PH, then reboot, then setup new configs.
    I also ran into problems when creating the new PH on the same drive as the fromhd drive. When I rebooted, there was an error message during boot up that said that the PH was a FAT32 format. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, booted into windows, moved the knoppix.img file to a different partition, rebooted Knoppix and all was well.

Best Wishes
    Pete

Junior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by locutus
    Quote Originally Posted by Abehome
    I have been using Knoppix 3.6 for few days already after installing on HardDrive using Knoppix-Installer. It is just great. It came with KDE 3.2.3 though and I wish it came with KDE 3.3.x I have done apt-get for some of the latest apps. and worked flawlessly except for KDE 3.3.x. It just wouldn't work. I would like to upgrade to KDE v3.3.x. Any one has done that already? Does it work? Here is my entry in the Sources.list among others
    deb ftp://ftp.oregonstate.edu/pub/kde/stable/3.3/Debian Stable main

Any idea why it didn't work?

Thanks

-Abe
    If you're installing to HD, why bother with Knoppix 3.6 and just use 3.4, then apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, and apt-get dist-upgrade? Then you'd have a Debian/Knoppix installation with the lastest KDE v3.3.0 among the many other updated applications.

Just a thought.
    I can't find KDE v3.3.0*.deb (for Debian) any where. Where are you getting it from?

Thanks
    -Abe

Member registered user
    Next weekend avaliable for mini-cd,only 210mb knoppix 3.6 based

Knoppix 3.6 Reloaded,by Prometeus

English and Brazilian language support
    olha o Brasil ai gente

I still don't get how Prometeus is different from KNOPPIX besides the Pocket CD size.

Regards,
    AJG

Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    I still don't get how Prometeus is different from KNOPPIX besides the Pocket CD size.

Regards,
    AJG
    At least, as shown in the snapshot, it runs KDE 3.3 instead of 3.2.3. This is what I am interested in and I wonder if he has compiled it and have a deb file for it? It seems like it is very stripped down version? Will it have server/client FreeNX?

-Abe

Quote Originally Posted by locutus
    If you're installing to HD, why bother with Knoppix 3.6 and just use 3.4, then apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, and apt-get dist-upgrade? Then you'd have a Debian/Knoppix installation with the lastest KDE v3.3.0 among the many other updated applications.

Just a thought.
    Not everyone has broadband, believe it or not. Maybe they're in between jobs or maybe they live out in the boondocks where broadband isn't available. "apt-get dist-upgrade" is not a practical option for everyone, alas.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast