Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix boots, but slows down a lot

Knoppix boots, but slows down a lot

I start the computer, and then it boots, and recognizes like ten things, then it stars not doing anything. I wait a really long time, like 20 minutes, and it finishes. Then it tries to go into the gui, but fails, just stays on a black screen. Anyone got any idea whats causing this?
    oh and also, the smae thing happens with paclinuxos and slackware live/slax
    ***********EDIT for new info: it slows down after the i810 soundcard and before generic monitor. DAMN SMALL LINUX doesnt.

also, after the long black screen wait time, the little x is on the screen, but that NEVER loads, i left it for at least an hour yesterday. i restored all original settings in the bios, and still.

Senior Member registered user
    Hi
    I would say that you would benfit from using cheat codes. Enabling dma should increase the speed of a cdrom drive(this may not work on older computers).

Code:
    knoppix dma
    The other problem seems to me graphics related(X windows not starting).You didn't include any info about your computer so it is hard to give a good answer. Do a search for cheat codes, match your video card to a video cheat code and add it at the boot screen prompt. F2 for a small list of cheat codes.
    Johnb

this computer is a pentium 3 processor 933 mhz, 382 mb of ram, and a geforce fx 5200. Im not sure why it started doing that, but it just did, because it worked before.

thats funny. this server didnt know it was a leap year.

ok, i got slackware live(slax) working. after the login thing, I just typed startx and it worked. I am typing this from it, but I wonder how to make knoppix work.
    Maybe possibly this fixed the whole problem?
    BTW, dma did fix the slowdown, but of course not the part where x doesnt start.

ERROR

ERROR: NO SUITABLE XSERVER FOUND FOR YOUR CARD

i was bored so i tried again. this time i was messing with the keyboard. i typed control shift alt f12 and it said it was going to reboot. it then told me to eject the cd and press enter. i was back at the first screen where it auto detects and stuff, and right after it said starting x11, it said that

Senior Member registered user
    Hi
    My laptop use a geforce card. The cheat code I used

Code:
    knoppix xmodule=fbdev fb=1024x768 dma
    This may or may not work for you. Try searching the forum for other people using the same or similar graphics card.
    Leap year hmm seems like our calander system needs an upgrade. Every 4 cycles it needs to be adjusted.
    johnb

actually, i had the time set wrong in the forum, my mistake.
    Ill try that, but also, its weird the same thing happens in all those distros, now including lindows live. BTW, they allow you to download it free, even if your supposed to buy it. my proof is info.lindows.com/p2p
    oh yeah and i found it on overnet.
    and, it works on my laptop, as do all of the other distros im having trouble with on this computer. i wonder what the problem with this computer really is.

it looks like this is the most detailed, because i actually wrote down the error and put it here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast