Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Sending info to thumb drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1

    Sending info to thumb drive

    Can not get Knoppix to recognize thumb drive or external harddrive.
    Process I am following:
    • In my laptop
    • Have computer turned off
    • Insert thumb in E: drive USB port
    • Insert External hard drive in USB port
    • Knoppix 3.6 in CD/DVD drive
    • Turn on computer
    • Program boots correctly
    • When I go to save a .ed1 file I have saved it does not give me the option of the E: drive or external hard drive.
    How can I get them to be recognized (son-in-law thought it was the drivers, but in windows I can read the information on both drives and they are barely full)

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    You have to mount the external filesystem first. As I recall, that version gives you an icon on the desktop for mounting such. You should also be able to do it from the file manager, or the command line. I'd highly recommend upgrading to the latest version, though, as there are many benefits, unless you really need some hardware compatibility that's not in the new version.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    You have to mount the external filesystem first.....
    In addition to mounting a file system, you'll want to be sure that it is mounted read/write, the Knoppix default may be "read only". And I would never write to a NFTS file system with Knoppix, although writing to any version of FAT file system (the standard for thumb drives) should be safe.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    @ Starling

    After you've booted up Knoppix on CD, if you can't see your USBs,
    try unplugging them and plugging them in again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Cray-1 UNIVAC 1103 Apple 1 CDC 6600 IBM SAGE picture

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Cray-1 UNIVAC 1103 Apple 1 CDC 6600 IBM SAGE

$65.00



S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco picture

S-100 Bus Handbook Altair 8800 IMSAI 8080 Board Schematics Xitan Pertec Cromemco

$89.99



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer picture

MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer

$2550.00



Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair

$69.99



Morrow MIS S-100 20 Slot Backplane PDC Motherboard 1977 Altair IMSAI Board picture

Morrow MIS S-100 20 Slot Backplane PDC Motherboard 1977 Altair IMSAI Board

$295.00



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00