Hi, Have just started using the above live CD. Successfully loaded the OS into RAM and wondered if it is possible to save system changes to USB and then continue from that point at the next live CD reboot. Thanks in advance. Dyfi.
Hi, Thank you for answering my query. I will purchase a new USB flash drive with sufficient space. What I need to clarify is :- Can I command to boot from that USB during the next live CD startup? Regards, Dyfi
Here is a link to pricing (~$23 with shipping) on the 8GB one I used. It's very fast, highly reliable, etc. If your BIOS will not boot to USB, you can use a CD and the commandor some such.Code:knoppix fromhd=/dev/sdb1
Cheers!
Krishna![]()
Or get the 8 gig one I have for 13.95 shipped or even $11.95 with the coupon code MLC114196101816NL1:
http://www.meritline.com/a-data-c008...--p-55267.aspx
I'm quite happy with it.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Different strokes for different folks. I don't have one, but these reviews suggest that it's not ideal for storing your OS. I'd happily use one for (say) documents, but not for movies or Knoppix.
Cheers!
Krishna![]()
Your question, if I understand correctly is how to install KNOPPIX on the USB flash.
The answer to the question is there is a script called flash-knoppix which you can
run it from the commandline or you invoked it from the GUI :-
Assuming that you are using LXDE, you can invoked it from the GUI :-Code:$ su # flash-knoppix
( LXDE menu ) --> Preferences --> "Install KNOPPIX to flash disk"
( bottom left icon )
You will typical only need 1 G flash for that purpose. But the resulting installation is again, like the live CD, whatever things you saved, are saved into the memory and are not persistent across reboot. To have persistency, this is when you will need about 4G or more space. The system will prompt you for creation of persistent store when you boot up from the USB flash.
It depends - I used a DVD image which required about 4 GB.When choosing a size, one may freely pick a value that they find suitable. If only 500K was chosen, (for example) then that amount of space could be used for adding software, saving settings, downloading files etc. If more space is made available, then that means there'll be more room for such things in the extfs persistent store.But the resulting installation is again, like the live CD, whatever things you saved, are saved into the memory and are not persistent across reboot. To have persistency, this is when you will need about 4G or more space.Knoppix (likewise, Linux generally) is VERY flexible, and it's difficult to pose such limits and have them apply "across the board" - there are lots of exceptions.The system will prompt you for creation of persistent store when you boot up from the USB flash.
Cheers!
Krishna![]()
I'm not very impressed by the reviews. The reviewers don't strike me as very scientific or precise, and that's not the same drive anyway. I can tell you that my drive has a read speed of 13.01 MB/sec as reported by USBDeview, which is better than a class 6 SDHC flash card that I've tested and almost as good as some SanDisk Extremme III SDHC cards that I own (they read at 15.65 MB/S). The Write speed is a bit lower (5.84 MB/S vs 9.80 MB/S) but read speed is more the determining factor for booting an OS or playing video (while Write speed is more of an issue for camera SDHC cards). I'm not saying this device's spec will be up to the Verbaitum device you referenced, but for less than half the cost I think it is a reasonable option. It by far outperforms other (smaller) flash drives that I own. I would be interested if you could post what you actually measure the Verbatim speed to be.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Greetings, I am a newbie as well, however - i have several reinstalls and reconfigs under my belt. I have done and HD Gui Install. Then - tohd, fromhd to create a persistent image - that now accepts my password, and has the correct system time, and of course Knoppix folder displayed on the desktop (which is how you know when everything is fine). Of course, I have one remaining challenge. (I also broke grub, lost Windows - had to do a "fixmbr" from recovery console - and now have Windows, Knoppix, and Grub all restored..... My remaining problem is getting to my persistent home without booting from the CD and using the fromhd command. I have tried the simple "e" edit at the Grub boot screen - inputting "fromhd=/dev/sda3", and "home=scan" to no avail. After about 20 hours, and finally resting I am in a good place now. Any advise on how to proceed with getting Grub to acknowledge the "poor-mans" install?

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00
Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00
Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$680.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$69.99
$140.00
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99