Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: Self-Contained Backup for Persistent-Store

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    That's entirely up to you. The reason I suggested this, is that most of the more "evolved" modification ideas involve minirt.gz and /init. Including yours, I think I know about 5-7 modifications, which could be implemented as patches.

    Using a 2 GB liveUSB surely belongs to the sports department these days, yes, but that does not make it uninteresting. Rather the contrary, it is very useful for proofs of concept. And BTW, to create a pure 64 bits Knoppix we should probably start with the CD package selection, and stay around there until issues are resolved satisfactorily. Also, for pure forensic purposes, the CD size install is the best, I think.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Thanks for your comments.
    I'll have to find and review those other minirt offerings.
    I can remember Forester doing some squash things, but I
    never understood why, let alone how.
    ________

    I know the Knoppix CD has a 64-bit kernel option,
    but I thought I'd heard it's very light on 64-bit apps.

    Even tho' my machine is 64-bits, I stay with 32-bit apps just
    to avoid any 64-bit hassles. I'm obviously not a power-user;
    I just want things to work.

    My Windows 7 is 64-bits, but my major app is Open/LibreOffice,
    and the 32-bit version is smarter than I am. Works just as
    well on 2 Gb 32-bit Knoppix as 350 Gb 64-bit Win7 for what I do.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I know the Knoppix CD has a 64-bit kernel option,
    but I thought I'd heard it's very light on 64-bit apps.

    Even tho' my machine is 64-bits, I stay with 32-bit apps just
    to avoid any 64-bit hassles. I'm obviously not a power-user;
    I just want things to work.

    My Windows 7 is 64-bits, but my major app is Open/LibreOffice,
    and the 32-bit version is smarter than I am. Works just as
    well on 2 Gb 32-bit Knoppix as 350 Gb 64-bit Win7 for what I do.
    Yes, in your case you can safely stay with 32-bits. But you may try out running with 64-bits kernel. That has helped me in a number of situations.

    64-bits today is mostly for special things, like computing on 4GB data arrays etc. But when you need it, you often need it badly, which is why I would like to get a pure 64-bits Knoppix.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Lot of 5 Samsung PM9B1 256GB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe SSD MZVL4256HBJD SSD picture

Lot of 5 Samsung PM9B1 256GB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe SSD MZVL4256HBJD SSD

$200.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1 picture

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1

$60.00



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem

$98.99