-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
ICPUG
I'm not sure what is so difficult about maintaining both options. The basic CD stuff goes in the KNOPPIX file. The additional stuff on the DVD could go in the KNOPPIX1 file on said DVD. Everybody happy with no extra development tasks.
Everybody but Klaus K.
He makes a point that making a CD version is extra work for him, and he wants to know if it's all that useful to anyone.
Some of us think it is, but it's surely a minor issue, given the DVD.
And you're right, I'll make my little KNOPPIX1 anyway, 'cause I hate recovering from a wiped-out read/write persistence file.
Cheers.
-

Originally Posted by
utu
Everybody but Klaus K.
I rather think that the great silent majority is on his side.
-

Originally Posted by
philo
I rather think that the great silent majority is on his side.
Here in England, and probably elsewhere to, we have a number political parties who would just love to be credited with the votes of the "silent majority". Unfortunately, for them, we only count those who are willing to take the time and effort to actually vote. I am certainly not an expert but I believe that's how democracy usually works philo.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
I prefer to think that Klaus just asked a sincere question. He is making DVD versions now and simply asked if anyone still wants CD versions. It is extra work to release both versions. If no one really wanted the CD version then there would be little point in making it.
But while it is extra work, it might not be much extra work, particularly if he just makes a minimal CD version with a few key things (like app-get) and then moves on to make an application rich DVD version. I'm hoping his next question will be: "rather than loading the CD version to 700 megs, what applications do users really want on the CD version for system recovery, remastering, or other uses that you see for a CD size release?"
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Microcomputer Builder's Bible IMSAI 8080 Z80 ADM-3A DEC LSI-11 Altair 8800 Bus
$65.00

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

Computer Photo History Altair 8800 Philco 212 CDC 6600 DEC PDP-8 Apple 1 UNIVAC
$69.99

640pg Best of BYTE Magazine 1984 Mac Steve Jobs Altair 8800 IBM 5100 Bob Moog
$85.00

1979 Microprocessor Projects Altair 8800 Intel 8080 KIM-1 COSMAC Elf SWTPC 6800
$59.99

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair
$69.99

Intel 4004IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair
$57.49

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00